Thursday, December 26, 2013

Going out, to listen in...( Pretty darn tricky word-smithing there, Allen Kanovsky!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 12/26/13

Lots of people from Florida and New York had come down for the Festival. Brooklyn gave us '2 Hat George' and his partner Yvonne. George promotes JAZZ clubs and musicians in The Apple. Greenwich Village sent Martha who owned Sweet Rhythm (nee Sweet Basil). The world allowed Kareef Qassim Ghaffaaf and his pal Donny (pro basketballers) to attend. There were 2 ladies, Sandra and Tanya, from Boca Raton who knew their JAZZ and I wished I had met them when I had more vitality. Didjeridoo? A JAZZ instrument? In Cuba it is. This Aborigine saxophone is played by a guy in the street while simultaneously making rhythm and melody with a tin pan. Down the street are two men. One playing violin, the other guitar. At lunch a quartet plays traditional son to entertain the diners. Back at the hotel to freshen up and grab another mojito we listen to a female quartet, Flute, Bongos, Bass and Guitar. Late that nite we go to the JAZZ Café at the Galerias Paseo. A man from Vancouver lets us know that there is a JAZZ Festival in his hometown, during the last week in June. The band has Alejandro Merono on keys, David Faya(bass), Reinier Mendoza(drums), Michel Herrera(Sax), Yoandy Albudin(trombone) and Yanet Valdes doing the vocals. A beautiful Latina is seated at a nearby table. I like looking at her as she obviously is enjoying the music. Shaking her shoulders to the rhythm. Being the shy guy that I am, I ignore the guy she is sitting with. "I see you like the music". "Yes I do!" "I write for an on-line magazine in the U.S.. Could I mention your name?" "Will I become famous?"." 'er-uh-SURE!!" "Violeta Moret Lopez". "Gracias Senorita" "Di Nada".  Yanet does a couple of tunes including "Funny Valentine" which is the first tune I recognized since coming to Cuba. Great solos by all band members make me realize that JAZZ travels well. I recognize a couple from last night, Connie, a Canadian and Mario, a Cuban native. JAZZ brought them together. A good looking couple, listening to good music.

No "Night In Tunisia" or "Afro-Blue". Just very creative post-modern JAZZ.  It is now approaching 2AM. Mas Manana

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment