Saturday, October 12, 2013

You never forget...unless you forget, then you can't remember that you forgot...but, Nicole Henry and Arts Garage are unforgetable, right, Allen Kanovsky?


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 10/12/13

...your first time. Not when it was special. The first time I saw and heard Nicole Henry perform was special. Flo had recently moved down from The Apple and I was introducing her to the South Florida JAZZ scene. The Vandyke Upstairs had a Friday Happy Hour outdoors on Lincoln Rd. Nicole was the featured artist. First time for Flo and I. Nicole had left her job in 2000 and started a singing career. In 2002 she met Paul Shewchuk who encouraged her to make JAZZ her genre. I am glad she followed Paul's advice. Last night at Arts Garage, Nicole showed what a JAZZ star is made of. I have followed her career for about 6 years and watched her grow as a performance artist. From Blue Jeans BLUES in Ft. Lauderdale to the Metropolitan Room and Feinsteins in N.Y. From Joe's Stone Crab to Lincoln Center. Getting betterer and betterer every time. On stage with Nicole were some of her favorite rhythm section guys. Pete Wallace(piano/keyboard), Paul Shewchuk(upright bass), Mike Harvey on drums and for his first time Aaron Lebos on guitar. Nicole has been nominated for the 2013 Soul Train Music Award for Best Traditional Jazz Performance. You can vote for her on Facebook. Appropriately, Nicole opened with "This Could Be the Start Of Something." Much of the audience had never heard Nicole before. They loved her from the first 5 notes she sang. Pete Wallace's solo had them leaning forward to pay close attention. Changing moods to a little R&R she does "So Good" and then in the softest, mellowest tones possible she sings and Pete plays "The Nearness Of You". I am with Jackie D. (American Airlines) and she is as moved as I. Aaron Lebos generally plays JAZZ that can best be described as 'music from the day after tomorrow'. This night was straight ahead JAZZ as displayed on his solo during Nicole's rendition of "That's All". Everybody got a chance to show off a little and it was Mike Harvey's turn on "I'll Do Anything for You". Nicole is singing her emotional heart out----WOW! An R&R tune "C.C. Rider" morphs into a slow BLUES with Pete switching to the organ, Aaron now playing the BLUES and Nicole showing how a lyric can have many meanings. Nicole adds a lyric line that says " going away baby, won't be back 'til fall, if I meet the right man, I won't be back at all"- See, See, Rider, See what you have done! Nicole choose "Who Will Be the First To Say Goodbye. Aaron does the intro to the next one. Two chord changes register in my mind and I know it is going to be "A Day in the Life of A Fool". Nicole, ever soulful, sings and equaling her vocal is Aaron and Pete's solos. They close the set with a funky "Stuck In The Middle With You". The audience is clappin' and tappin' when Mike Harvey works into a triplet rat-a-tat-tat, rip roaring drum solo.

During the break, I mention to Aaron that I was surprised by his BLUES chops. He replies that BLUES is the beginning of it all. I feel exactly the same. The ever gracious and beautiful(in every way) Nicole responds to my question about favorite lyric line. She thinks about it and finally she says that it's not just a line but the entire lyric to the Hoagy Carmichael "Skylark". She and I share an opinion about what the lyric really is talking about. On to the 2d set which Nicole opens with an old BLUES jump, "Sista Sadie" and she has the joint jumping. Pete and Aarons solos do nothing but increase the heat. Nicole softens the mood with "Like Someone In Love" and then turns the temp up again with "Wayfaring Stranger". Love is in the air again as Nicole sings and Aaron plays "I Don't Want to Wait In Vain". I have to say that, Nicole never shies away from sharing the stage with her musicians, always giving them their share of the spotlight.  Returning to her soulful side, Nicole does "I Need A Little Time Alone." Someone in the audience shouts out a request for "Over the Rainbow". The band isn't prepared for it so Nicole obliges with a 'voice only' rendition of the verse. A memorable musical moment. Now, the truth will be told. Nicole is doing Bill Withers "Use Me Up". Everything that Nicole has become is revealed when she does this song. Her soul and womanhood is there for everybody to see and hear. When it is Aaron's turn he rips it and Paul closes his eyes to reach deep down for his feelings. Pete's solo starts with some strange chord structures that has every one rapt with attention and then jams with his usual creative stuff. The band has caught a groove. Nicole can't help herself and picks up the tambourine to bring 'the church' on stage. Mike Harvey does nothing to dampen the spirit or the mood. Oh my! Oh my!. A much needed respite is provided with "I've Seen Fire, I've Seen Rain". It has a spiritual message which Nicole delivers vocally and Aaron does instrumentally. The set, for all purposes, is closed with "Keep Your Spirits In the Dark" followed with a JAZZ backed moment when Nicole thanks us all for being there. I say "Thank you, Nicole for being here". Flo always felt close to Nicole. Seeing and listening to Nicole keeps her memory close in my heart. Again "Thank you, Nicole."  

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment