Monday, October 14, 2013

When it comes to...(Allen Kanovsky and dancing, we can only wish we had his moves!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 10/14/13

...worthy causes, musicians and music lovers are always johnny-on-the spot.

Musicians contribute time and talent and fans, whatever they can afford. It happened again yesterday at a little place in Pompano Beach called "Beach Bums". This beer and wine bar is just west of A1A, a block off the beach. It does not have a music program. Instead it offers a jr. size pool table and a mini  string game on the bar top. Sunday afternoon they contributed the space and a buffet to help the cause of breast cancer research. Vocalist Barbara Van invited musicians to come play for the event. The small place was full of good-hearted citizens and JAZZophiles. Melody and a bunch of folks from Blue Jeans BLUES showed up in support. Bill R. and daughter-in-law Gabriella were there. To my surprise a familiar face was at the keyboard. Just returned from the Yukon where he mines for gold(via tip jar) in the summers was Bobby Reynolds. To coin a phrase, "for a good time" be in a room with Bobby. You'll laugh at his stories and clap your hands to his solos. With Bobby, playing bass guitar, was Scott Hatchell. Bobby and Scott opened playing the BLUES and although it was only late afternoon it was "After Hours" with the music. Barbara got up with "Route 66" and followed with a rhumba tempo "What A difference A Day Makes". "Blueberry Hill" has Bobby singing? Yes, that's a question mark! And thankfully does an instruments only "Tequila". I assure you that Mr. Bobby Reynolds will find a way to "get even" with me for the question mark. Barbara returns, now with Sergio, on bass to do "You're Nobody 'til somebody Loves You". An instrumental "Orpheo" from Black Orpheus and Barbara closes the set with "There Will Never Be Another You." Kelly-Ann is the prop. of Beach Bums. She used to work for Melody at BJB's. It was her birthday. It's remarkable what 29 year olds can accomplish now-a days. I bought $21 worth of raffle tickets to match Bill's $21. His was the first number pulled from the hat. Someone had forgotten to fill the prize bag. It was empty. What more can I say about Bill and his life. I couldn't stand the sobbing and tears so I headed for Blue Jeans BLUES. Anthony Corrado, Shea Eischen and Paul Banman were on stage with Anthony's 247 instruments. Anthony plays them all. At times he attempts to play all of them during the rendition of a single tune. They are doing "Caravan". Anthony plays only the clarinet and flute on this one. Out comes the tenor sax for "When A Man Loves A Woman" and up get the cocktail hour romanticists to hold each other close in a dance. One couple stands out. They are "dancing to the music". Every step designed for the rhythms being played. They are Daniell and John Harley, out of D.C. and married for 16 years. Both are good-looking and seem to be very much in love. They told me that in the capital and Baltimore their dance style is called the "Bop"---in the Bronx we call it "Why Dance?". Another couple had gotten up to dance. Maybe not as showy but certainly as close as the others. Their names, Priscilla and David Blake. She will be featured on TV soon with her work at "Wingspan Seminars". I've known 5 or 6 girls--ladies--women(your choice) with that name. The name itself registers as femininity. If David was a little shorter, forty years older and fifty pounds lighter I might have attempted a kidnapping of this gal named Priscilla. 

Lourdes Valentin is the featured artist for this Sunday nite. With her is the brilliant bassist/educator, Ranses Colon. The composer/arranger/ pianist Jaoi Schneider and Shea Eischen stays on at the kit. Just before the set starts, Detroit's own Ron Anonymous shows up with a pretty lady on his arm. Bill and Gabriella have also arrived. An instrumental "Just Friends" opens the set. I hear the sound of flute but see no one on stage with that instrument. Is Jaio playing tricks with some keyboard gimmick. I keep looking around. Seated right in front of me is a guy with a cloth sack full of bamboo instruments. Some just flutelike, others with sax type mouthpieces. His name is Erik the Flutemaker and that's what he does. He also plays by ear and does it very well. Lourdes' program covers a lot of bases. She uses rhythm patterns that are not usually done for particular songs. Latin for some, swing and back-beat for others. It makes for interesting listening. Lourdes loves history. Particularly Broadway Musical history and she does hits such as "Put On A Happy Face", "If I only Had A Brain", "On A Clear Day" and "Whatever Lola Wants". The place is crowded. Bill's curfew time has come and I am left alone at the table. -----good things happen to good people-----two very attractive women(notice the verbiage) are looking for a place to be seated. Ever the gentleman, I invite them to join me.
They kind of look me over. I am old and look it. Wearing a JVC JAZZ Festival t-shirt that bears the year 1988. I haven't shaved or trimmed my moustache and goatee in four days.

Their vision must be impaired for they choose to sit down. Heidi, Robin and I have a great conversation. They like to dance and know many of the people I know including BJB habituĂ©, Chad. They are enjoying a snack while some good dance tunes are being played. I know better than to get between grown women and food. The band is on break and I introduce Jaoi and Ranses to the ladies and the interesting conversation continues. Unfortunately, Heidi and Robin have work in the morrow and are pressed to leave and catch a few winks. Not a soul in the joint to dance with except Chad and he does not 'follow' very well. Lourdes does "God Bless the Child" with a back-beat rhythm and sings Mi Casita in Espanol. Another song that Lourdes sings in Spanish is Q'ere Me. That one will tear your heart out. She does outstanding versions of "Desifinado", jumps "Counting Your Blessings" and slinks into "In A Mellow Tone", trading 'fours' with Jaio and Ranses and the Shea. Her singing of Mongo Santamaria's "Afro-Blue" makes you realize how much there is to loving JAZZ. I could go on "forever and ever". 

"No one to dance with, all by myself". A little bit of clave rhythm is in the air as she sings "Close Your Eyes". You know me. No way I can sit still. I am doing a little solo dancing behind my chair. Lourdes sees me, steps down from the stage and holds out her arms. I grew up dancing with Puerto Rican girls in The Bronx. Lourdes is a Puerto Rican girl from The Bronx who grew up dancing with Jewish boys. Need I say more? 

The early morning bells are tolling. My eyes are drawing shut. The band is divvying up the tips. What in the world am I doing up at this hour?---------------------------having a damn good time. 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment