Wednesday, October 2, 2013

"They Call It Stormy Monday" (...but Allen Kanovsky calls it anything he wants, whenever he wants!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 10/02/13

...but if you can make it to Tuesday, it ain't bad at all. Especially if you're at Boston's on the Beach in Delray Beach. More specifically if you're there for the Musicians Exchange Reunion in honor of Don Cohen. BLUES stars on stage, BLUES stars in the audience and dedicated BLUESophiles there to listen. It wasn't a surprise to see so many BLUES kind of folks out on a Tuesday night in support of a worthy cause. They always seem to "Come Together" when necessary. O.K. I'll start with the music, in order of appearance. First on stage were the "AllNighters". Steve Weinstein(guitar/vocals), Donny La Stella(drums), T-bird Tordanico(guitar), Ray?(bass) and Motel Mel(keys).

Straight ahead boogie and BLUES. Lots of clappin', tappin' fun, and dancing. Running through the play list---"I'm Ready", "Sugar Sweet", albert Kings "Weeping and Bending", "Honey Hush", "It's my Soul", "I Tell At Home" and an original composition of Rays', "Avenue D." The crowd is growing and I see Drew Preston, Rockin' Jake, Piano Bob, Otis Cadillac, Betty Rosenfeld, Blues Bobby and wife, Dave(Cat in the hat) with Lonnie, Jimmy Belize with new gal pal Kathy, Tania Blues, Bobby Nathan, Enid the photog and again lots of folks I know to shake hands with or hug but don't or can't remember their names. I dance with a couple of "young thangs", Cindy Galiardo--she has some moves---and Linley Schatzman---way toooooo young and pretty. Remembering Tania in short, black and tight I had asked her to dance as well. She was too busy taping and recording the show. I almost cried. Almost. Next up was  "Magic Bus"--Dan Newman, Joe Rizzo(drums) Russ and I think I spied Kenny Burkhart at the keyboard. A trip from way back until just yesterday---"Love That Dirty Water" to the Beatles "Come Together" to the Beach Boys "Having Fun in the California Sun" and we were all having fun in the Del Ray moonlight. The bands had a 20 minute time limit so the play lists were short. Capt. Reese is up with Motel Mel(keys), Joel DeSilva(guitar) and Johnny Mandell(guitar). They say they are called the Bluesberry Jazz Jam. Hey, Ray,---Charles, that is. "Tell Me What I Say"---oh baby--the joint is rockin'. "Going Back to Memphis is Capt. Reese's song and he makes the most of it. Now they remind me how hungry I am when they play "Chicken, Gravy and Biscuits" I ask for a menu and my server, Brittany complies. I'm eating, they're playing "I Don't Need No Doctor". Am I consuming too many carbs? The rhythm is 'shuffle' when they do "Going To Reap What What You Sow". 
Pay Attention---On stage, Dave Shelly, 'One Night Stan' Waldman, Nicole Yarling, John Yarling, Ken Burkhart, Pat Ward--the rafters are coming loose, gals are shaking their you know whats and I am kicked back, lushed, stuffed and having one heck of a good time. Suddenly, my view of the stage is cut off by a guy standing between me and the band. I tap the guy on the shoulder--he turns around---"Albert, Albert Kuh stig lee uh", I say. "Kuh steel ya, you schmuck" is his reply. Where in the hell did he learn to speak Yiddish.?

"You Say Ta Mah Toe and I Say Ta May Toe". Albert!!! Just go ahead and play some BLUES and make me happy. He does do that. Dave is still on stage with Nicole and are tearing the joint up taking turns on vocal & instrumental solos. Never again will "Tuesday's just as bad" apply.

The band does a New Orleans party song dating back to the 50's that has everybody on the floor, even a guy wearing both a belt and suspenders. Reminded me of my visits to the Cajun country. Jerry does his thing when he and Albert do "Tell Me Why". Now everybody is on stage with Castiglia (say Kuh Steel Ya) to play "Bad Avenue". All you need to do is hear this one and you'll know why I love the BLUES. Famous Frank sings "I've Had My Fun. The band does the called for 'one more with a standard BLUES that has the chord changes of "Let The Good Times Roll" with everyone just jammin'. 

Thanks to all the musicians who played. If I didn't mention your name, it is entirely on me. So, when you see me next time, remind me and I'll buy you a drink. Or in the words of the late 'blue' comedian, B.S. Pully, 'vice-versa'
A short note about my buddy, Jimmy Belize. Jimmy is a recovering--you name it--and is known for being a deep thinker. Some of his thoughts*****(concerning Tina at the bar) "Tina serves the best Coca-Cola in town"****(concerning Jackson Hole, Wyoming) "Don't mess with a mans hat, horse or girl friend, in that order. If you get past the first two, don't worry about #3"

More from this misguided Senior plus Citizen later today  

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment