Friday, October 18, 2013

There are...(are we talking Halloween songs here, Allen Kanovsky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 10/18/13

...haunting tunes and then there are tunes that haunt you. The song that does that to me is "Love For Sale". Wednesday night Mike Norris and the JAZZ orchestra ended their program with it. Less than 24 hours later young Ben Stocker and his band opened their set at Jake's Speakeasy with that same tune. As a youngster (1947, 15 years old) I played that song at least 20 times a night, 6 nights a week for 5 months at a joint called "The Pump Room" on the corner of 7th & Washington in Miami Beach. For my 50th birthday my wife bought me a session with a hypnotist so  I could stop reciting the chord changes in my sleep, which kept her awake. It worked.---(I know, tell us about the music.)  Ben Stocker, plays tenor sax and fronts a band that is made up of young upcoming JAZZ stars---all presently Dillard H.S. seniors, Chris Mills bass), Charlie Steiner (drums) and Zack Auslander playing guitar.

Special guests sitting in for the Jam was Damonn Sands (tenor), Jake Pardo (guitar), Kim Morton (trombone) and Jared Golden (tenor). During Zack's solo on "Love" you could hear the influences of both Les Paul and Charlie Christian as well as his own ideas.  The house band played "Have You Met Miss Jones" then the jammers joined in for "C-jam Blues", "A Train" and  "I Mean You". Jared and Jake do solos that impress on a tune called "Bags Groove".  Jared is a senior, Jake is in the 9th grade. The duo continues to impress during "I Remember April". JAZZ and be-bop reign with "Blue Monk".  The band continues with an up-tempo "What Is This Thing" featuring Ben and Kim. Chris joins in with a 4star solo. They're all on stage for a rousing "So What". Chris Mills the bassist is very imaginative and creative. Truly a future star. Every member takes his turn at making it their own tune with their interpretation of the melodic line. Is there a defining melodic line in "So What"?. A young woman joins the band to do a couple of Billie Holiday tunes, namely, "Lover Man" and ?????. Her name is Melissa Stokes and fairly new to the South Florida JAZZ scene. Nice voice, stage presence and not bad to look at. The band closes with two JAZZ standards, "Perdido" and "Cherokee". During the show, I thought how much Ben's playing reminded me of a young Charlie Barnet. It was reinforced with his solo on "Cherokee".

Alex the owner is truly dedicated to creating a home for JAZZ in Hallandale. He is actively seeking talented JAZZ musicians to fill spots in November----call him at Jake's Speakeasy. 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment