Saturday, October 12, 2013

There are some that say...(...and there are others that don't...right, Allen Kanovsky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 9/xx/13

..."Chicks Rule". I, for one might argue the point. There is no argument that "BLUES Rule" on Thursday nites at the Fish House in Kendall. Even JAZZ stars like Mike Orta join the Jam from time to time. The house band has Darrell Raines (guitar/vocals), George Caldwell (bass), Nate Wish (drums), Mike Wainright (sax/keys/flugelhorn/vocals), Bill Clark (harp/hand percussion) and Motel Mel (keys/vocals) A guy I know was playing congas. I didn't make note of it and "It's Early In The Morning" and I ain't got nothing but 'memory loss'. My apologies. There was a celebration. Bill R's son Robert was celebrating the first anniversary of his marriage to the beautiful Gabriella. Guests included Mike Orta with Luz, Capt. Bob with Jojo, Bill's pal Sarita and I. Now the BLUES. The band opens with "Watermelon Man" which ain't really the BLUES but it serves as the warm-up. They get down to the nitty-gritty with "I.R.S BLUES". Part of the lyric goes, "I don't mind paying my fair share--please don't take more than I make." Motel Mel does the vocal and his heart is in it. hmmmm!. They do a funky shuffle and then Mel sings "I'm Rocking By Myself" . The nine of us join hands and do a little jive while seated. "When they do "I'm Better Off With The BLUES" Bill C does the harp solo. "Pitch a Wing Dang Doodle" has Darrel showing off and he follows by singing "Born To The Dark Side" which has another great BLUES line---"if it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all".  During the break I spot fellow music lover, Georgine Hart with her friends the Martinez's---Nelson & Jen, Angel and Tere. She, like me, gets around to listen to the music.

The Jam set starts with 2 youngsters on guitar, Anthony Martin(16) and Zack(13). They open with "Sweet Home Chicago" and Anthony doesn't disappoint with his solo section. Mike Orta joins in to show his BLUES acumen. Mike fully appreciates that all JAZZ starts with the BLUES. Zack does his bit and it amazes me that kids that young know as much as they do about playing BLUES. A shuffle "Ain't Gonna Love Nobody Else".  "I Don't Want No Woman Tellin' Me". has Darrel and Zack in a groove. I ask for "Bright Lights, Big City" and Mel says yes.  That tune spells B L U E S to me. Mel and Darrel are playing the s--t out of the tune and I dance with Georgine. Mel follows with "I'm Gonna Kill That Milkman". Ricky Williams is in the house and is invited up. "Got Me Up, Got Me Down" and the joint is 'rockin'. Ricky has brought vocalist, Angee Griffin to the Fish House for the Jam. She does "Rte. 66" and "Summertime". The Porgy & Bess song has Angee taking it to 'church'. Oh my! Angee tells me she started singing at age 4. Her favorite tune at the time was "All I want for Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth". Her mom was real proud of her and at age 7 she was singing at the Ebernezer United Methodist Church. If you want to develop your "soul", you gotta start in a church choir. Ricky chooses "Georgia". Darrel and Mike Wainright(tenor) play truly inspired solos. Darrel stays south of the Mason-Dixon line with "Rainy Night in Georgia. The audience will not let Ricky off the stage due to his performance. The closing set has Darrel at the keyboard, Mike W. at the keys. A guitarist(name unknown) shouts a couple of BLUES including "Howling All Nite Long". Angee returns, Ricky goes back on the keyboard and the band does "Natural Woman". Angee's version and all the band solos has everyone in the joint on their feet as the evening comes to a close. As I said, at the Fish House---BLUES Rule---on Thursday nite.

Easy choice for tonight--Nicole Henry at Arts Garage in Delray Beach 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment