Wednesday, October 16, 2013

There are "chick" singers...(and is it Allen Kanovsky's mission to hear them all???)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 10/16/13

...and there are some who sing better than others. Then there are those who love to sing. It is evident in their stage presence, the emotion in their voice, their attention to the poetry of the lyric and most of all in how they relate to their audience. Last night at "Timpano" on Las Olas, I had the good fortune to listen to a "chick" who loves to sing. Noreena Downey is definitely in love with music. It is evident in her performance. Tim McCormick was on sax & flute, Jaui Schneider on keys and George Mazzeo was at the drum set. Timpano's is a well known Ft. Lauderdale location. They have a huge but comfortable dining room, a friendly bar and a cozy lounge. The music is presented in the lounge area.

When I arrived at 6, happy hour had an hour to go. The room was packed with residents of a nearby condo. I noticed that I was not the oldest person there. A picture of Frank Sinatra dominates the room. I find a seat close up to the stage. It is necessary because the chatter level is that of a helicopter take-off. Noreena opens with "Bye Bye Blackbird". The rude patrons are not deterred from their 'important' conversations. Noreena and the band soldier through in swinging style with Tom quoting Louis Prima's "Robin Hood". It is during the opening number that I become aware of Noreena's love of song. She LOVES  to sing. They slow it down just a little with "You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To" and then a bolero rhythm and "Besame Mucho", Jaui and Tom's solos are melodic and very creative matching Noreena's enthusiasm. She takes interesting  chances with "On the Street Where You Live". Tom be-bops his solo on this one. A soulful "Stormy Weather" which Noreena closes with another great ending. She scats the intro to "Devil May Care" and the "boys in the band" respond with their play. A samba, a ballad and a jump rhythm for "My Love Is Here To Stay." Noreena loves to sing and I think she loves singing swing most of all.


Beverages return to regular prices and it was like rats on a sinking ship. Shortly after the first set(1hr15min) ended there were only 2 of us left in the audience. Adam Henderson from Maryland and I. Obviously Adam is a JAZZophile because he applauded in all the right places and bought the band a drink. The playlist for the 2d set had Tom playing flute on a couple and included tunes like "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes", "Lover Man", a funky "On Broadway" No one in the house so I took the opportunity to have Noreena 'trip the light fantastic' with me. Jerry the blues player comes in to catch the last couple of songs. Noreena does the ever popular JAZZ standard "Route 66" to end a swinging session. Shannon, my server, informs me that my check has been taken care of. My benefactor is unknown. Thank you----whomever you might be! Enjoyed the evening and will be sure to return. Timpano has live music on other nights but I don't know the schedule.

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment