Sunday, October 27, 2013

Talk about....(and talk, and talk and talk some more...as long as there is music and women around Arts Garage, Allan Kanovsky is talking!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 10/27/13

...trick or treat. I know it's not Halloween just yet, but last night I got treated beyond any expectations. Ladies first: I had the good fortune to meet 4 beautiful women I had never seen before. First, Ms. Dawn Easton from Australia and a fan of Troy Roberts. Next Jean from Wyoming and a friend of Jimmy Belize. Third and fourth Kamelie and Natalie. Kanelie is Dave Chivertons girl friend and Natalie is with Eric England. Natalie privately told me she would like me to meet her mother. If mom looks any thing like her daughter I can't wait.--------
Hey man!!!!! It's supposed to be about the music.
Oh. Yeah. The music. Okay. You want to hear about the music. You should have been at Arts Garage to hear it. Out front, Troy Roberts leads the band Nu-Jive. Tim Jago(guitar), Martin Bejerano(keys), Dave Chiverton(drums) and Eric England(bass). Troy and the band play all of Troy's original tunes and charts. These are the sounds, harmonies and rhythms for the day after tomorrow. 
Open your minds to something so fresh that it reveals visions of the future of JAZZ. Both musicians and sounds. The program started with "Monasterios" which was written in honor of Silvano who usually plays with Nu-Jive. They follow with "A Night Out". It gives Eric a chance to solo. I often say, you don't have to hear Eric's playing to follow the melodic line. His head and body movements do it all. "Another Word For Synonym" tells its own story in musical tones. Troy wrote the next tune on a plane and it is tentatively titled "Plane Tune". I suggested "Coffee, Tea or ???". The concluded with a very complex "Madam Falselle". During the break I spoke with Troy about his performing in New York. Week long dates at The Village Gate and Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola have given Troy the exposure he well deserves. He plays clubs all around the Apple and is enjoying life in the Big City. My table mates loved every bar of the music that was played. Dawn is a long-time Troy fan. Jean had never heard him before. The 2d set started with another very new sounding song titled "Convertible Berth" followed with "One Day Wonder". During Tim's solo, I become aware that he is a left-handed guitarist. Not the only one in the world, but certainly one of the best. The last 2 numbers are "Cover Inglewood" and "Stir It Up". Again the harmonics and the rhythmic figures grab the attention of any one who loves JAZZ. "Stir It Up" has a repetitive closing phrase which has Dave Chiverton doing an amazing solo under layers of sound. It is worthy of a standing "O" and he gets it. Martin has done an amazing job, working with the band for only the second time.. I haven't said enough about Troy and his very imaginative and creative playing. Let it suffice to say, if he is not the best JAZZ tenor saxophonist in the world today, he certainly is in the top 1%. That is not a typo. The band is packing up and I ask Troy for 16 bars of baroque. He is gracious, picks up his horn and does a little Bach. Let me tell you. The cat can play some classical.

Tonight Barbara Van hosts a jazz jam fund-raiser for Breast Cancer Research at "The Wine Bar" on 'toity-toid' in Fort Lauderdale. Afterwards there's FishTales for the BLUES and Blue Jeans Blues for JAZZ. and I don't know what they play at the Dive Bar. I must confess, I've been in an awful lot of joints that have been considered "dives" but I've never been in a "dive bar".  Toity-toid is the 52St. of Ft. Lauderdale. Music, someplace, every night. 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment