Saturday, October 19, 2013

"Life Is Just...(it is for Allen Kanovsky! Or, it that just what he BYOWs to Arts Garage?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 10/19/13

...A Bowl Of Cherries" is a song created during the Great Depression(1930s) to help lift American spirits out of the doldrums. If you've survived being born for any length of time you know life is anything but "a bowl of cherries". If anything it is a bowl of surprises. In every language there is a saying about the 'best laid plans'.



My plan for Friday night was Arts Garage to see and hear Duffy Jackson. 

I arrive to find I am at a table with Mike Orta's mom, his sister-in-law Debby and his girl friend Luz Salizar. Moments later Wendy Pederson and Nanami Orikawa are seated with us. Talent, beauty and good cheer surround me and that is only the beginning. I head for the dressing room to say Hi to Mike Orta, Paul Shewchuk and Duffy. There is a dimunitive, very pretty, blonde, brown eyed lady applying the finishing touches to her make-up. She offers her hand. "Michelle Amato" she says. Hey! Wait a minute! My tongue is stuck to the roof of my mouth. I shuffle my feet.  My lips are locked shut. I am at a complete loss as how to respond. She chuckles at my unease in a friendly way and I know that I am in love. Mike helps me out by telling her my name. She stands next to me and says "You're just the right size," referring to my height(I hope). I am thinking about St. Valentines Day.

Enough of the Great American Novel---let's talk music! The trio plays an instrumental before Michelle takes the stage to open with "I've Got The World On A String". You know from the very first bar that you are going to hear JAZZ at its best. Michelle is daring with her treatment of the melodic line and what a voice. Musicians respond to one another and you can feel the vibe emitting from those on stage. They follow with a super tempoed intro to "One Note Samba" and slow down a bit for the chorus which Michelle does scat vocal style. Next is "My Favorite Things" done in a swinging 3/4 with Mike and Paul playing really nice solos and Michelle finishing with scat vocal lines.

A romantic ballad "Love Came On Stealthy Fingers" is introduced by Michelle when she says she loves the song because "How often does one get to sing the word stealthy?" She's absolutely right. "Writin' the Blues" has a BLUES based chord structure but it in no way is a BLUES tune. Be-bop all the way with a Lambert, Hendrix and Ross inspired scat vocal exchange with Duffy and Michelle trading 8s and then combining their voices in an overlay to finish-----WOW! The girls soul is revealed when she sings "You Don't Know Me" and her stylings inspire Mike's outstanding solo.

The national anthem of be-boppers, "How High the Moon" gives Michelle another opportunity to display her JAZZ chops. She sings the ballad "So Many Stars" and then Bill Evans' "Very Early."

She ends the set with "Summertime" done in full "coloratura soprano voce" to start. This is what Gershwin intended  "Porgy and Bess" to be. The great American opera. Michelle made it come true.

During the break Michelle told me that Nicky Orta , Mike and herself had a band together going way back to Jr. High. Also this was the first time she had played with Duffy. Hard to believe when you heard them trading 8's  with scat vocals. In 1977 she had a 'Disco' band named "The Galaxy".

My comment--"you've come a long way baby". Michelle completed her education at UM and taught there for a while. I asked about her favorite lyric line--no hesitation--it is from a song on her playlist titled "I Can't Make You Love Me". The line,
"I'll close my eyes
then I won't see
the love
you don't feel
while
you're
holding me"
I've never heard a more honest love song lyric. The second set had it all. BLUES, Bop, Ballads, Swing, JAZZ, inspired solos and interesting patter. A word about Duffy Jackson. He has played with every major name in the business and  for good reason. He is a master. This mastery was displayed last night by the soft touch he used behind Michelle's vocal renditions. The control of his dynamic "voice" should stand as a lesson to everyone who holds a set of sticks. There was a birthday in the house. A guy named Barry. Talk about getting lucky? How about Michelle, Wendy, Debbi and Luz joining together to sing a funky "Happy Birthday" to Barry. I would have listed all the songs in the 2d set but it would interrupt my nap. I will tell you that Michelle's interpretation when she closed with "Black Coffee" left me very glad that I was there this night. Heck of a performance by all. Duffy is on stage again tonight, tomorrow afternoon and night.


"What Do You Say When A Love Affair Is Over" or is it "Just the Beginning of Love" as I said before "The best laid plans of mice and men--------------

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment