Monday, October 28, 2013

JAZZophiles and BLUESiacs...(geez Allan Kanovsky, it sounds like those things need a cure instead of BEING a cure for what ails you!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 10/28/13

...turned out last night to help raise funds for Breast Cancer Research. Barbara Van and Kelly-Ann hosted the party which was based at the 33St. Wine Bar but had participants from both FishTales and Blue Jeans Blues. Lots of charitable folks and musicians showed up to contribute both talent and funds. The turn-out included many of my personal friends, boys and girls alike. At the Wine Bar Barbara, Mo Morgen, Bobby Reynolds and Lee Donais started the evenngs entertainment. Down the street at FishTales there was Dave Shelly with Jimmy Powers V on guitar, Randy Ridenauer(drums) and Charles Gaspar on bass. on the opposite side Blue Jean Blues had Anthony Corrado hosting the afternoon jam and then Sista Mary Beth and her band as the featured act for the evening. Sista had Tom Regis playing piano, Tommy Benson on guitar, Chuck Fiore playing bass and Tim Kuchta on drums. Heck of a BLUES singer in front of a heck of a band. Among the people there were BLUES Bobby and the Mrs., buddy Bill and his daughter-in-law Gabriella, dance partner Denise, and the sweet, lovely Babette. 

In the raffle, mine was the first ticket pulled. The prize was a bag of very good spiced peanuts and a wine glass. During Flo and I's time together we amassed more wine glasses than the Manischevitz family. I gave the glass to Gabriella. Sista Mary started her show with "Sugar Momma BLUES", followed with "No More" a reggae tempoed "Trouble With Angels" and had Denise and I up and dancing to "Man Sized Job".  I sit down to catch my breath, "when suddenly appears before me" two very pretty faces. Is this it. Am I passing into the "Land Of Make Believe". I say a quick but fervent prayer. At my age "it" can come at any moment. I take another breath and then one more. I blink my eyes. I am still amongst the 'quick'. It is Heidi and Robin, two women I shared some laughs with a couple of weeks ago. They remembered me. I am "Unforgettable". They introduce me to Lisa. More about Lisa and I later. Sista Mary Beth does a credible "Natural Woman" and a soulful "I Know What Love Can Do" ending the set with a suggestive "Pickle Man". During the break I find out that Lisa is visiting from Cape Cod and wil return there Monday morning. I ask if she would like to take a teddy bear (me) back with her. She smiles. Looks me up and down. "Sure" she says. Her friend Robin reminds me that it's winter up there. UhOh!. "Lisa, how cold is it?" I ask. "Around 38 but they expect a snow storm tomorrow". I'll take a rain check to be used in the spring. Sitting at the table with Denise and I are Bill Scott a JAZZ bassist and his friend from Norway, Tom Frogner, who plays bass as well. They overheard Lisa and I, adding chuckles as background. Lourdes Valentin comes in. She is really nice to look at as well as listen to. The 2d set opens with "Nobody Ever Loved A Man the Way I Love You". Reggae rhythm returns with "I'll Do What I Want". I am dancing a little 'west coast swing' with Robin when I spot Piano Bob at the bar. He is a nighthawk like me. Now Heidi has me on the floor to "Can't Buy My Love". Thinking about it, you probably could---buy my love that is---especially since I am offering it at 40% off regular price. Sale ends on 10/31. No, the offer does not include the Buy One, Get One Free. That was last month.

The clock moves towards midnight. I am dragging my ---. Hug all the gals, kiss 'em on the cheek and head home. "Tomorrow Is Another Day", Lord Willing.   

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment