Friday, October 11, 2013

Doubling down is...(...on 33rd is almost " Route 66". Right Allen Kanovsky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 10/10/13

...easy. Especially when your talking about JAZZ & BLUES. Last night, in an effort to make up for Monday(football) and Tuesday(sloth) when I did not leave the couch I ventured forth to Ft. Lauderdale and 'toity toid' street. Namely Blue Jeans Blues and FishTales. 

There were double returns. Danny Burger to BJB's and Bobby Nathan to FTs. I started the evening at the Blue where I found Babette on her royal bar stool in conversation with Denise(dance partner). Setting up on stage were Danny(drums), Tony Nicolossi(guitar/vocals), Mitch Goldstein(Hammond/no vocals) and Coty Allen (Tenor sax/vocals) They fiddled with the sound system and got started with "Mercy, Mercy". The 2d selection was "Somewhere Beyond the Sea" Tony doing the vocal and Denise and I doing the dancing. Coty's turn to sing with "Teach Me Tonight". The heat turns up a little when they do Errol Garners hit "Misty". Tony does the lyrics and Coty plays a memorable solo. I hadn't noticed, when I walked in but another dance partner, "The Lady In the Hat" and Douglas were sitting there. Last time TLITH was wearing a wide brim floppy. tonight she was wearing a stingy brim black fedora. She keeps the milliners in business. "Night In Tunisia" gives Coty a shot at showing his be-bop chops and range. They take turns with solos. Flatted fifths, triplets and all.

They follow with "Rainy Night in Georgia", "Black Magic Woman", "That's All"  "Green Onions" and close the set with "Everyday I Have The BLUES" While introducing the song, Tony mentions that B.B. King has named his guitar for his wife, Lucille. Hence, Tony has named his instrument for his ex-wife----"Bi--h"!
With that, Denise and I cross the street to Fishtales. A jam band is on stage. Mike Marciano(harp), Eric Austin and Bluesy Dan(guitars), Ed(bass) and Andy G(drums). They do  couple including a real BLUESy, "Things That I Used To Do". It's getting late, Denise has work tomorrow, so I am at the bar with some other folks including Ann-Marie Carollo with a guitar playing rock and roller Dave Jr. It is Ann-Marie's birthday. When they sing the birthday song, they say "Happy Birthday, Ann". I hope you know there are no Italian girls named Ann. It's either Ann-Marie or An--toinette. The Bobby Nathan Band, Bobby (guitar), Andy G(drums), G Money(bass), Doug Treen(tenor sax) and Joanne Nathan(keyboard) are the ones that did the D song. They'll know better next time. Among the tunes played were "I'm Torn Down", "Pink Cadillac", Dave  Jr. sitting in on guitar and vocals, "Walk On The Wild Side", Doug Treen and Dave Jr. playing a duet instrumental portion. Dave Jr. completes his stint with "Bobby McGee. Ann-Marie's favorite artist was Janis Joplin. A tall, shapely, fashionable, blond, takes the stage and I think "What can she do besides look good?" Well it turns out she has a set of pipes and knocks out a respectable "R E S P E C T".  I don't know if Bobby attracts blondes (JoAnne is blond also) or what, but another good looking blond lady takes the stage to vocalize. Her name is Katherine and she lets us know she can sing with "Summertime" and "Give Me One Reason To Stay". Herb is now sitting in on drums. "It's coming up on 11 PM when they play Albert Collins "There Ain't Nothin'. I head back to BJB's for the last set. Marty roker takes the seat at the Hammond and the band opens the set with a BLUES shuffle. "Lullaby of Birdland" with Coty doing a scat along with the lyric. It is obvious that Coty loves his Bop.Tony sings "A Very Good Year" and he better be glad Ol' Blue Eyes wasn't here to hear him screw up the words to the song. I say so what.

The words are only important to the guy who wrote them or couples who fell in love to them. I did neither so I loved Tony's rendition. Marty urges the band to do Louis Prima's "Bonna Serra, Signorina" which happens to be my all-time favorite jump tune. "How High the Moon" transing to "Lover" pays homage to Les Paul's contribution to JAZZ. The night comes to a close with our "Love Is Here To Stay".  
As I am leaving I meet Mike Murk, my prospective employer. I have been promised the live-aboard cook's job when Mike finally purchases his sailing yacht. I was promised the job after informing Mike that my connections to the Lord would provide unlimited thunder storms unless I was aboard. It's amazing what some people will believe. 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment