Monday, October 7, 2013

Beauty is in...(My vote is aligned with Allen Kanovsky's take on this...)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 10/07/13

...the eye of the beholder. Is the same true of history? Not to me. History is on the tongue of the teller. Sunday, late afternoon at BJB's, Anthony Corrado, playing banjo did "Has Anybody Seen My Gal". That dates back to the twenties. Then Anthony picked up the trumpet and moved history 30 years by playing Dizzy's "Manteca". His rhythm section has Shay Eishen on drums and Paul Banman(piano/keys). Anthony is a multi-instrumentalist and tries to play as many instruments as possible on every number. He followed it with a tune made popular by Stevie G. He said that Stevie G claimed to have created 'smooth JAZZ'. If Stevie G invented 'smooth JAZZ', I invented the light bulb. What happened to Johnny Hodges, Georgie Auld, Ben Webster, Stan Getz or James Moody---all playing smooth stuff while Stevie was having his diaper changed. Thank the Lord, that I had a host of folks I am friendly with, there to cool my ire. In his usual seat my buddy Bill R with Capt. Bob, Hope Ward with her mom Gloria Shirley Brown, One of my dancing partners, "The Lady in the Hat" and Doug Smalls, two of my favorite other dance pals, Denise and Jackie American. At the bar, seated on her eternally reserved stool, the everlastingly beautiful 'Madame" Babette. Anthony runs through his repertoire including a be-bop line written by Red Garland titled "Red Cross". Red never claimed to have invented anything but a 'good time'. Anthony picks up, what I feel may be his best instrument, the guitar and plays a song written for, and dedicated to his father. "Julio" has a powerful, Iberian influenced, melodic line. I don't have to tell you how you play a song written for your Dad. I dance a couple with Denise and Jackie. These two ladies are younger than my daughter and not old enough to have mothered my granddaughters. I have to take a break, catch my breath and slow down my pulse rate. Anthony does "The Lady Is A Tramp" in jump style. The 2 gals are up and do a "lindy" taking turns leading. ---A fashion note---both of them know to dress, Jackie in a 'to the floor' tasty print. Denise in slacks and sweater that were designed to show off her 'attributes'. 

The featured band for the night has Misty Holke and Darren Austin on vocals, Dylan Schiavone on guitar, Valerio Cantori from "Sound of Vision" on keys and lastly Michelle Masci(the famous Masci family) at the drum kit. They open with a jump tune(title unknown to me)slow it down a little with "Summertime" to which Denise and I take the floor. Darren takes the mic for "Moondance" and follows with remembering 'Ol' Blue eyes' with "Summerwind". If your desire is to dance with a woman, holding her close and tight, then this is the song to do it to.
And I did. The program turns to 'rock'. Miss Misty is tall, blond, pretty and her attire left nothing to the imagination except the dream. Hey, she can sing too! Here they go, Misty and Darren---soul is in the house accompanied by funk. "I Want To Hold On", "I'll Be There", " Very Superstitious", "Boogie-oogie-oogie", "Chain, Chain, Chain" and "Respect" to end the set.  I love doing the 'just a little bit' back-line. I never mastered the style of dance which you do to most of these songs, but it seems to me that females love shaking and twisting "them booties" and seem to do it at every opportunity. Darren starts the 2d set with the BLUES, doing a deep soul "Stormy Monday". He morphs the ending to another BLUES tune, "I Never Want to Be A Good Man". The memorable line being, "I never want to be a good man, walkin' round at night, with a dirty diaper in my hand" Misty and Michelle sing "Killing Me Softly". Misty and Darren return to duets with "I Can't Let Go". They follow with "A Song Of Love", then "Ain't Nobody" and rock into "Ya Ya Ya". When they do "Play That Funky Music, White Boy", I think about Stevie G and a comment he made after playing a solo at the Playboy JAZZ festival in the Hollywood Bowl. He had strutted around the stage, with a miked up sax, playing what I heard as, a not exceptional solo and then had the b---s to say " I did that so you know a white boy can blow too". I say HaHaHa.

The program continued with 'rock'. I enjoyed the musicianship of all the players including some great guitar work  by Dylan. Started to leave and ran into Richie(Turk Mauro's pal). We chatted for a while, settled all the worlds problems and decided that life hadn't treated us too badly-----all in a days work------thaaaaaaaaaats allllllll folks!!!!  

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment