Friday, September 13, 2013

When was the last time...Allen Kanovsky needs to know this...


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 9/13/13

...you heard an adult playing a kazoo? What's a kazoo, you ask? I can only describe it as a conical shape tube with a hole and some kind of filament in the hole. This instrument was developed by a guy named Alabama Vest(real name) in 1852 and was marketed as the "Down South Submarine". It's easy to play. You put it between your lips, blow and sing. The first metal kazoo was made in 1902. They are still popular today. You can buy a toy type for about 27 cents, or a new electronic model for $20. Had enough history? O.K. Last night at The Big Easy in Hollywood, Niles 'Redbean' Blaize played the kazoo. He also played guitar, harmonica and the ubiquitous "Cajun Button Box". On one side he had the other half of the Blaize/Alter duo, Rob Alter playing guitar. On the other Jerry Mascaro, surprisingly playing bass. Rob opened the set with a Western twangy BLUES. The trio continued with "Tequila". Next was "Time Better Change Your Mind" and Niles managed to play guitar, harp and then the kazoo. It almost knocked me off my barstool. It was a first time for me. Later on, Niles told me that Otis Cadillac had added a Kazoo quartet to his show. Rob sang what he described as the first 'rap' when he did Bo Didley's "Got A Stop In My Hand". Niles turn and he does a pretty song titled "It Happened, Then, With Love." Chuck Berry's "Living in the U.S.A. and then Brubecks "Take Five". Changing up from 5/4 to 8/4 they do the Louis Jordan boogie, "Take Me Right Back to the Track, Jack." A newcomer, Sir Charles and his alto are invited up. He does a credible "Stormy Monday" and then a beautiful ballad whose name I can't remember. 

When the 2d set starts, The Big Easy is crowded with about 7 staff members, the band, a guy named John Moriarty (just returned from 'Burning Man'), his friend Linda and me. We are about to visit all the American Genres of music. It starts with "A House Called the Rising Sun", goes way back to "the Cotton Fields Back Home", jumps forward to Roy Hamilton's "Don't Let Go", moves to Cajun country doing Dr. J's "Don't Mess With My Tu-tu" featuring Niles on the tunable Cajun Button Box. Now the theme from 'The Harder They Fall'. Niles does the story song about "That Ain't My Mule" and the trio follows with an instrumental, "Sleepwalk." I buy a ticket to the Grand Ol' Opry and listen to the old, old "Orange Blossom Special". The audience (3 of us) are having a good time and enjoying every rendition of these songs. Rob sings a really pretty "All My Love Is In Vain" and Niles lightens the mood with "Angelina, Won't You Please Come Home." They close the set with some bouncy Rock 'n Roll, say goodnight and all 13 of us, staff, band and customers head home. 91.3FM WLRN with Nancy Wilson, Clifford Brown and Johnny Hartmann take me home. I slow down to catch all of Johnny's "Nearness of You". Today is Friday, the 13th. 13 is my lucky #. Also it is Voodoo Nite at Arts Garage. Where will you be on this scary night? Maybe you can catch a 'mojo bone' at the Arts.          

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment