Friday, September 20, 2013

"To Dream the Impossible Dream"...(is easier when you are asleep, right Allen Kanovsky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 9/xx/13

...is one thing. To do something about it is a completely different venture. As Joe E. Brown once said--"You can lead a horse to water but get him to drink and you've done something." Last night I went out to listen to a band called "Solstice" It is fronted by songstress Kaila Guiterrez and backed by Fernando Uliberri (guitar), Kenneth Jiminez(upright bass) and Rudolfo Zuniga on the kit. Rudolfo claims that Kaila is his "girl friend". I hope they have a bright future. The place they were appearing is in my backyard(Hallandale Beach) and I was glad to know that live JAZZ 'was coming to town". The place has been here 'forever and a day'.  Flo and I walked in once, a few years ago. Two steps in we knew it was not our kind of joint. Not even close.

A guy named Alex and his wife Juliana recently took Jakes over and renamed it Jakes Speakeasy. They threw out the pool tables and dart boards, replacing them with comfortable leather settees and a decent sound system. Comfortable, warm, friendly atmosphere. This is a couple who have decided to do something about their "impossible dream" and have my best wishes for success.

I got there after the band was well into the first set. They were playing a samba tune, whose title escpes me. When Kaila did a song "Don't Say That I'm Falling in Love" she caught my full attention. First her voice is a little unusual but definitely suited for JAZZ. Second, she was doing wonderful things with the melodic line. Stretching and compressing with great tone in her lower register. She ended the first set with "Lullaby of Birdland", which is always challenging. Not for Kaila. She just did it. During each song the trio took turns with the solos.  I have written about Rudolfo a number of times and so he needs no further mention (he is great). There must be something in the water, here in South Florida 'cause the guitarists and bassists are getting younger and betterer (my own word) all the time. One of the songs I don't hear often enough is "Stormy Weather". It is so strongly attached to Lena Horne and Ethel Waters that many vocalists don't chance it. Kaila is young, beautiful and willing to take musical chances. G-d Bless her. She sang it, displaying her range and it is impressive. They opened the  2d set with my Mom's favorite, "Summertime" and again Kaila displayed her JAZZ chops. A swinging "Just the Way You Look Tonight' took us past midnight. This older guy started to sag. 

Time for the Real Tracy. "Charlie Parker With Strings" playing "East of the Sun" just long enough to get me all the way home. Charlie Parker, playing with strings is not the Charlie Parker I heard on 52St. in the 40's. Oh, well, the price of fame.


A note to all; my musician friends. Alex is looking to book musical talent, duos, trios, quartets to headline shows. He asked me for help. As you know I do not promote or book acts. It's all up to you. He is at Jakes Speakeasy, 812 W. Hallandale Beach Blvd. every night Wed. to Fri. 954 367 6421. He really wants to have a JAZZ venue in Hallandale. So do I. Call him. Mention you read it here.
 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment