Thursday, September 5, 2013

There's a riot...(and Allen Kanvosky probably started it!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 9/xx/13

no---no---no---not a riot , a party. there's a party going on. A birthday party. I had hurried to get to BJB's in time to get there and take advantage of 'happy hour' prices.  There was a duo on stage singing to tracks--will describe that later on. A group of 10 guys and gals were celebrating one of their birthdays. In all honesty, this was not a Sweet 16. No "16 Candles", only 6---easier to blow out when making a wish. The birthday 'girl' was Annette Pugliese. She was there with her sister Donna and some friends. Annette was 'boppin' in her chair. How don't you dance with a birthday girl who is itching to get on the floor. We danced, had fun and laughed about it. One of my boyhood friends was "Jo-Joe Pugliese. They were not related.

The duo who had been doing the early show, Jessi Campo and Alex D. had ended their stint and were packing up. I wanted to explain to Jessi about my not reviewing performances done to tracks. I am glad I did. It turns out that I remembered her dad Johnny Rodriguez from my Palladium days. He has recently passed and joined some of the other Mambo Kings in the Lords dance hall. Giovanni, rest in peace. 

Wednesday is Danny Burger's Showcase. Tonight he featured a band who has performed at Blue Jeans BLUES many times before. Rita Wilburn with Mitch Goldstein and Jeff Prine. Rita has the knack of making people feel good. It is easy to understand. Good looking, great 'bod', a voice made for performing and a personality that lights up a room. Occasionaly she will give me a 'shout out' saying that I'm her 'weekend man'. I WISH!

Rita opens with "Fever" and Mitch on electronic B3 shows off. It got hotter from there. The program continued with "Who'll Be the First To Say Goodbye"  then the soulful "Unchain My Heart", "Everyday", the Happy Birthday Song" for all the celebrants, "At Last" and closing the set with "The Thrill Is Gone" Now I take advantage of the break to get personal with Miss Reeeetah. First question--"When did you start singing in church?" She tells me she was 7 years old when her Dad stood her up in front of the congregation of the 2d Baptist Church in Coldwater, Mississippi. She sang "The Hymn of Enjoyment". For those of you unfamiliar with history or geography, Coldwater is a very small country town. A one traffic light village with a church to residence ratio of about 1 church to every 5 or 6 homes. A girl with a voice like Rita's would and could not stay in that town for long. After high school on to Memphis and a career. Good for you. 

A young woman, Jessi Cain, was invited up at the outset of the 2d set. As soon as she sang her first few notes you could recognize a well trained voice. Jessi studied at UConn concentrating on Opera. JAZZ and BLUES were a magnet she could not resist. She opens with a jumping Ellington tune, "Take the A Train" and then Billie Holiday's "God Bless the Child". Rich tones, velvety voice, stage presence---she learned her lessons well. 

Rita returns with a song about a man, a woman, love, relationship and who's the BOSS! She does Georgia in her own way--some American songbook---"Ain't No Sunshine" where I did 4 bars of "I know. I know I know". Rita opens the 3d set with "Summertime", a tune my mother would sing to my children, nieces and nephews. "Since I Fell For You" and closes with all of us joining in when she does "Mustang Sally". You all know the line---"Ride Sally Ride"   oh yeah.

Had an interesting conversation with Jeff Prine, who is self taught and is anxious to continue his music career doing his "own" music. I wish him Godspeed.
Tonight I will continue to celebrate Rosh Hashona at dinner with Dave(cat in the hat) Posner, his sister Marlene and her husband Dr. David. As we say--Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to all!!!!

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment