Saturday, September 28, 2013

There are some amongst us...(well, Allen Kanovsky, I guess so because you are in The Fish House and the serve other menu items, too!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 9/29/13

...who prefer wines imported from France. Napa Valley. California is fine with me. Others say the only real BLUES come from the riversides of the Mississippi. The shores of the Seine in Paris ain't bad either. It has turned out some pretty good BLUES men including the exceptional Nico Wayne Toussaint(harp) and new to the U.S., guitarist Michel Foizon. They were the feature last night at The Fish House in Kendall. The room was crowded with JAZZ & BLUES afficianados including birthday girl Diane Young who drove down from Palm Beach. The trio of ladies, Georgine, Carmela, Bernadette I met at Ave D last week were there with their pal Jerry. My favorite dance couple, Martine & Jacque joined Bill R, Denise, Capt Bob, Jo-jo  and I at a close up table. Nicco is in town to compete at Rosey Baby's on Sunday for a chance at the finals for the International Blues Challenge in Memphis. While here with Michel, they are working in studio on a new CD. The duo ran through the litany of BLUES, old, new and some original
Michel Foizon & Nico Wayne Toussaint
compositions. Little Mike, Rockin'Jake, Mitch Goldstein, Redbeans Blaize amongst others are all talented harp players. There is just a little something more about Nicco. His knowledge of the BLUES, past and present is "nonpareil." It was at The Fish House that Flo & I heard him for the first time a few years ago. If I didn't stand in the way, I think Flo would have kidnapped the guy. Yesterday was the first anniversary of Flo's passing. Nicco remembers her well and dedicated the evenings performance to her. A very gracious act. They opened with "Ain't That Loving", and then ran through a litany of BLUES, past and present.  Michel was allowed to show off on a slow shuffle called "Don't You Know That I love You".  Bill requested a Junior Wells tune and Nicco responded with "Come On In This House". Martine & Jacques got up to dance to "Talk To Me" and "Are You Ready For Me".  
Michel takes the lead on a couple of tunes and shows talented BLUES chops. A friend of Martine's, marathon runner, Evelyn Behr joins us to enjoy the music. From his new CD, Nicco does his original composition "Lonely Number". Jeff gets up on harp to do a song with Nicco and does "real good". Earlier. Friday, at the studio session they recorded "St. James Infirmary" with some interesting additional lyric lines. Nicco played it for us as well. Nicco and Little Mike were both inspired by James Cotton. NWT did "Midnight" in tribute. They follow with another original, "How Long To Heal" an award winning tune. The tempo is slow and haunting. Couples get up to dance---grind would be the more appropriate description of what they did. It would take until the day after tomorrow to list all the BLUES songs the duo played so I'll conclude with Nicco doing an Edith Piaf ballad that reincarnated that talented woman. He could not end the program with out Angela's favorite, "Dealing With the Devil". 

Tonight Nicco at the Titanic. I am heading up to The New Smyrna Beach JAZZ Festival. Great program. Maybe see YOU there.    

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment