Wednesday, September 4, 2013

It is not easy to become...(...Allen Kanovsky, but it may be worth trying!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 9/xx/13

...a legend----unless you do it in your own mind. Legends are created by the adoration of others. Among the many legends in contemporary music is a drummer known as Ginger Baker. He played in several (for want of a better term) R&R bands before establishing a recording studio in Lagos. Last night, at The Funky Biscuit, I listened to a band named for him, the Ginger Bakers. A trio--Jeff Lloyd(guitar/vocals), Tony DiAmato(bass) and Jamie Newitt on drums. The music played was definitely "Cream" influenced but also original. Extemporaneous solos by each of the band members showed exceptional musical knowledge. I have to admit, even for a thousand bucks, I could not name nor did I recognize a single tune they did. It mattered not. They had me nailed to my barstool, listening with serious intent. Let it suffice to say, if these young men, stay true to their art, they may someday be legends themselves. Not taking anything away from the rest of the trio, I feel it is important to mention the drumming of Jamie Newitt. It is not often that my attention is drawn to background figures being played on drums. Last night had me doing just that. Then great solos by Jeff and Tony made me realize that a band is a unit. Each member depending on the others for support in their individual efforts. Remember their names and try to hear them play wherever that might be. Definitely a musical treat. Jimmy Belize and his pal, Big Jimmy, had joined me and agreed with my appraisal of the 'Ginger Bakers'. Several musicians have taken note of this band and the talent they display. Wednesday night looms large with choices---check the music listings---I have some chores this morning so my decision, as usual, will come late this afternoon. 

Cuba JAZZ Festival Tour--Dec15-Dec23--Interested? Call me 661 803 8096--putting together an eclectic group of JAZZophiles for the trip.  

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment