Thursday, September 19, 2013

If you are fortunate...(to read the listings in JazzBluesFlorida.com you wouldn't be surprised like Allen Kanovsky)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 9/19/13

...enough to get as old as I am, healthy enough to go out and stay out every night listening to JAZZ & BLUES, you get to know that "S--t appens." Sometimes good, sometimes not so hot. Last night S happened in a good way. I had arranged to meet my pal Dr. Jules Oaklander to go to Avenue D in Miami for a concert hosted by the South Florida JAZZ Org. Right place, wrong date, different show. Walking to the Ave. D. entrance we passed by a newly opened restaurant "Le Chat Noir". A poster board outside announced Live Music Tonight--Eddy Balzola---more to follow---

The show at Ave D was presented by IDA (Inspiring Developing Artists) It was a trophy presentation for performers in their program. The house band were some youngsters I am familiar with. Jon Rose(piano), Brad Miller(bass), Hector Mendoza(guitar) and Jean EspiritoSanto(drums). Doc and I watched 2 performers, John Daniels who sang "I Did It My Way" in Spanish and Tony Lebron, an award winning 'gospel' singer who sang a spiritual, also in  Spanish. The good Dr. and I left, planning to return, and went next door to listen to Eddy.

I reiterate that I do not do restaurant reviews but this is not a restaurant per se. Well maybe during the day but at night, when you walk down a flight of stairs, you are in Greenwich Village(circa 1940). A red room with old fashioned dim lighting a small bar, a stage and tables for 2 and 4. The first look and only one thought comes to mind---JAZZ---This is an ambitious project by Alexis Salis (WDNA 88.9FM), inspired by his love of JAZZ and wines.  Eddy is seated, on a small stage, tuning is guitar. We exchange greetings.

I have seen and heard Eddy at leas 100 times over the past 7 years.Ssometimes with his whole band "Oriente", sometimes with a trio and oftentimes solo at a small Hollywood Beach motel bar during cocktail hour. Now comes the good S. I don't know whether it was how I was feeling or Eddy was feeling or the ambience of the room but Eddy played like I have never heard him play before. Toned down but tuned up.

He plays a song that I know but can't remember the title followed by "Morning of Carnival" from 'Black Orpheus'(my all time favorite film). You probably know it as "A Day in the Life of a Fool". Then a N'awlins standard, "Do You Know What It Means". He really catches a groove with a Miles Davis BLUES number which transitions to a little R&R, "I Heard it on the Grapevine", then continuing the medley, "Living in the City" and concluding with "Backwater BLUES". I am falling in to a deep hypnotic trance by the melodious fluidity of Eddy's strummings and voice. He selects "Michelle, Ma Belle". John Coletrane is one of Balzola's inspirations and he always pays him tribute. He plays Nurema and Equinox and recites the tone poem he has written for John, "Love, Freedom, Music and Magic". He plays "Wash Your Troubles Away" and then simulates trombone with his voice and sings "St. James Infirmary". He does incredible guitar work on "Norwegian Wood". Then, maybe feeling the Apple vibe of the room does some New York tunes including "Autumn in New York" and a Calypso rhythmed "I'm an Englishman in New York". It is a must listen for JAZZophiles. Catch Eddy at Le Chat Noir. You will not be disappointed. By the way, it's perfect for making an impression on someone you would like to impress.

The good Dr. and I return to Ave. D. in time to catch Mark Hudson do his last couple to close the show. He asks the award winners up to the stage and the ensemble does "Living On the Edge". Mark and the band do Jerry Lee Lewis' "Good Rockin' tonight" to close the show. The plan was to go back to Le Chat Noir for Eddy's 2d set. Unfortunately Dr. Jules is out of training and he is starting to nod off. He is doing the driving so it's time to head home. It seems that I'm not the only one who has a late night 'thing' going with the Real Tracy Fields(WLRN 93.1FM).  I am happy to see new venues with live JAZZ and they will have my support--- 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment