Wednesday, September 18, 2013

"If I Only Had...(Would that be a left or right brain Mr. Allen Kanovsky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 9/xx/13

...A Brain" is the title of the song that Lourdes Valentin ended a set with the other night. Last night I realized she meant me! A word to those of you who have brains. When you start out, after turning on the ignition, check your gas and oil gauges. Put your seat belt on. Make sure you know the direction you must go and finally, be certain that the place you are going to, has what you want. I didn't and had to suffer the consequence. I should have called and checked but I thought my source was reliable---the operative words were 'I thought'. Sometimes the mind is a dangerous thing-----enough of the nonsense, let's me write what I am supposed to write about--M U S I C

After being, at first disappointed, I was then elated. My final destination, The Funky Biscuit, had J.P. Soars and the Gypsy JAZZ Duo. The other half being Scott Makron on clarinet. J.P. is well known as a BLUES man. Those who know him well acknowledge his love of the gypsy genre. Up until 1996 J.P. had never even heard of Django Reinhardt. A co-worker from France introduced him to the music and the love affair began. It worked out! Strangely enough, his parents, back in the days of the Hippies, had a business labeled Gypsy Leather.

Both J.P. and Scott played every tune with warmth and affection. I must qualify this review by saying that the bass and rhythm guitar lines were on tracks. I allowed myself to forgo my distaste because both these lines were laid down and recorded by J.P. himself, with no studio enhancements. au natural. The duo ran through a series of Django compositions including "Swing 42", "Minor Swing" and Django Tiger", "Duces  Ambience", "Swing 39", "Nu Age", "Minor Blues" and "Blue Drag".  They also played, gypsy styled renditions of "Sweet Georgia Brown", "It Don't Mean A Thing", "What A wonderful World" and "I'll See You In My Dreams". Scott closes his eyes while listening to J.P.s solo. You know he's thinking of someone he loves. So am I. Talking about someone you love, I loved my father. Let him rest gently in the Lords arms. My mother had a beautiful voice. My father's was like a cement mixer in full operation. They both liked to sing. My mother sang all the time. Cooking, cleaning, scrubbing the floors. My father sang after a couple of "wodkas". One of his favorites was a Russian gypsy tune, "Ochi Chyornye" (DarkEyes) which he sang with much emotion. J.P. played that song last night with the same emotion. It would be great if he learned the lyric in Russky. My buddy Jimmy Belize had joined me and is also a devotee of the Gypsy genre. An old friend, Isabel Reynoso did some interpretive dancing while the musicians were displaying their talents. Danny, one of the servers, had a night off and joined Jimmy and I for some pleasantries. We all enjoyed every note played.

I am not a food critic, although I eat. I do not review restaurants, although I frequent them. That said, here goes. On Tuesdays and Tuesdays only, the Funky Biscuit serves a hamburger plate for$5. It is served on a fresh challah bun with lettuce, tomato, onions, pickle and French fries on the side. As they say where I come from " Not for nothing" but this is the best 5 bucks you can spend on anything. You can't find menu prices for Mickey D's on line. You can't find a better 'value meal' than the one at Funky Biscuit. Better get there early 'cause now the world knows!!!! I may come to rue the day I told them.
Hi Tracy----'the circles of my mind' G'night. 


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment