Thursday, September 12, 2013

A Night In---- (is never as much fun as a night out, right Allen Kanovsky?)...


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 9/11/13

...Tuni-------Delray Beach. A special night and all kinds of special folks showed up. It was a celebration of Boston's on the Beach's 250th performance and 5th Anniversary of Famous Frank Ward Hosting Blue Tuesday. It is now officially a tradition. Who was there? Blues Bobby with his wife Priscilla, Dr. Lee(The Regulators), Doug Bell(Bellevue Cadillac), Betty Rosenthal(the booty shaker), Tommy Perry, Jimmie Belize, Frank Papitto, Charlie and Debby, plenty of BLUES lovers and me. If I left you out, 'blame it on the bossa nova' or the rum drinks I was downing. The opening act was Bill "Sauce Boss" Wharton which included, Bill in full chef's dress, cookin' up a load of gumbo on stage as part of the show. The band did a series of songs which sounded like two tablespoons of Rock 'n Roll and half a cup of Arkansas Traveler. During the break, they dished up the gumbo and everyone dipped in. 

For the second set, Frank, his son Pat, Jeff Headley(drums) and John Hart (guitar/vocals) took the stage. Jeff and John on bass had performed with the "Sauce Boss". I don't know what it was, but Boston's came to life. The gals up and started doing what they do. Guys cheering them on and sometimes joining in. Frank singin' the BLUES. John coming up with creative solos and Jeff driving the whole thing. John used his pipes to sing "Learnin' How To Tie My Shoes" and a soulful "Down In the Ocean Blue". "Change My Mind", "Do the Hip Shake" were Famous Frank's contributions..Daniel Lombardi(guitar) is on stage when they do "Got My Mojo Working" and plays a really good 3 chorus solo. A note: Jeff and his own band will be in Memphis competing in  the BLUES championship finals. 

It's coming up on 1AM. The distance to home is about 48 miles. At 60 mph that's 48 minutes. I passed a few semi's en route. 42, door to door. Not recommended for any time except for the wee hours.  

Lots of good stuff coming up, including Dr. John & the Nite Trippers for Festival Miami at UM's Gusman Hall 10/5. Don't miss this chance to hear a legend and support the BLUES.

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment