Thursday, August 22, 2013

You don't always get...(but, of course, Allen Kanovsky gets what he needs! - See photo...)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 8/22/13

...what you want. I went down to Pax in Miami expecting to hear an old friend, Nestor Zurta do his magic on the reeds. Walked into a civic rally. I only discuss politics face to face with guys smaller, older and less physical than myself. I spoke with Nestor. He was extremely honest. Knowing my aversion to "tracks" he told me I wouldn't enjoy his Solo w/track performance. 9PM---alternate choices---The Fish House, further from home---Blue Jean BLUES---closer to home---tough choice, easy to make considering fuel prices. It turned out to be a good move. When I got out of my car on 'toity-toid' in Fort Lauderdale, I spied Danny Burger, out on a break but back to work. Welcome back Danny B. Inside I meet another old friend, Matt Calderin(drums). He is the guy who along with his girl friend of the time, hipped me to Mrs. Murphy's and the JAZZ scene in south Florida. The band has Mitch Goldstein on the electric Hammond, Jeff Prine(guitar), Danny and doing the vocals, Miss Rita Wilburn. There aren't a lot of chatterers at the bar and so I have the opportunity to really hear this girl sing. They start the set with a shuffle, "My Baby Just Cares For Me". Then it happened. You know. The reason you listen to live music. Rita sings "Who Will Be the First To Say Goodbye". All I can say is "What a voice and what a performance!!!!!". I admit to being a little sentimental so tears formed and memories flowed. The moment passed and Rita went on to "The Thrill Is Gone" with a Danny solo. He IS back. Rita sings some 'covers' and I dance with her friends Loretta Withers and Anna Burrell. The last set has BLUES. BLUES and more BLUES. They conclude with "You Can Have My Husband". Tracy is playing Marian McPartland in memorian to the passing of the 95 year old legend. 

Lots of choices for tonight. Check sell-outs before heading anywhere. My choice is John Pizzarelli. My alternate suggestion, Nicole Henry

p.s.---corny joke told by Matt.(you know how musicians feel about singers and vice-versa). The is a female vocalist knocking on the door. The door opens and she just stands there.    Why?    Because singers never know "when to come in". Not my joke. You can tell because it doesn't contain any puerile material.   


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment