Sunday, August 4, 2013

When you're the...(the ONLY Allen Kanovsky at Arts Garage, no matter what is being worn!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 8/4/13

...only guy in the room wearing pegged pants, argyle socks, penny loafers and a Tattersall checked shirt, you better have some friendly musicians around. Where to begin?? Okay! It's a Saturday night. There's a Swing Dance event at Arts Garage in Delray. Get it!! Swing dance--pegged pants--zoot-suits--lindy--well maybe you're not old enough. I am. The dance was being held by the South Florida Lindy Collective and Swing Out South Florida. It started with Lindy lessons by Isidor Shniadoski in which about 50 "guys and dolls"  (terminology of bygone days like my pants) took part. Then we got to the good part. Live music by a band whose members  I am conversant with and so they did not make light of my attire. First I saw a guy walk into the band "green room". I followed, but didn't recognize him. He's wearing a stingy brim pulled close down on his forehead. Lucky for me Ms. Brenda Alford is there looking over her play list. We are soon  joined by Jesse Jones Jr. and Paul Shewchuk who wants to know whether the red shirt or black shirt is better with the atrocious tie he has on. I feel better dressed already. Brenda, Jesse and the unrecognized guy in the hat unanimously agree on the red, to match the red band on his black stingy brim. I introduce my self to the guy I don't know. His response "I'm Kevin Camfield"(drums/vocals). I've known Kevin for several years from his appearance at the Hard Rock. The hat completely disguised him. Bluntly I asked if he had gone suddenly bald. He doffed the lid, displaying a full head but now slightly grey hair. Mike Orta arrived carrying a partially full glass of red wine--- a few words here and there of pleasant conversation and the glass emptied. Paul, noting the absence of beverage appeared with some bottled water and then pulled from a back pack, a bottle of vodka. Just then my pal Jimmy Belize and his friend Maxine popped their heads in the door and I joined them at a table alongside the dance floor. Barbara Van invited us to join her, Luz Salazar(my dance partner & Mike Ortas girl friend) and Jea(n)nette PINA at their table. Barbara had brought a tasty repast of cheeses, crackers, bread and Italian meats. Okay, now the best part. The music. All of the aforementioned musicians easily reached back into the past and revived the "Swing Era" of JAZZ. Brenda opened with a groovy "I'm Beginning To See the Light" with Jesse and Mike doing the instrumental solos. The dance floor filled with couples of every age and ethnicity. And they did what was expected---The Lindy. None of them were dressed like me but they danced like I did back in the 40's. The dance is energetic so the band limited each number to single chorus solos to enable the dancers to gather themselves for the next one. Brenda followed with "Love Was Meant For You and Me" with a little scat to enliven the evening a little more. Kevin's turn and he sang "Just In Time" which got Jimmy and Maxine on the dance floor. Now Jesse and in his own inimitable style, does "Won't You Come Home Bill Bailey". Jesse's scat lines cannot be duplicated. They are pure Jesse Jones Jr.--Kevin says with Jesse turning gray it should be Sr. not Jr. They continued to take turns doing, "I'm In Love"(Brenda), "Come Fly With Me(Kevin). Jesse intros the tune with a little "Flight of the Bumble Bee".  Jesse and Mike do their 'thing' with eloquent solos. Brenda sings "At Last" and at last I am dancing with Luz. I feel the daggers thrown by Mike's eyes piercing my back. Kevin does another 'Fly' song--"Fly Me To the Moon" and Brenda closes the set with a really swinging "Them There Eyes" with Jesse singing into the alto---wow!. 

Barbara makes mention of the fact that she paid the $25 admission to listen to Mike and all these years she has had him as her pianist. I hope she paid him more than the 'quarter' to work with her.

While I was in back talking with Jesse and Mike the conversation had turned to my question of how do JAZZ musicians do what they do, instinctively. I will try to write about that on a day when I hadn't gone out to listen to the music.
The 2d set continued the dance groove with "Well, Alright, OK", "I've Got You Under My Skin", "They Can't Take That Away From Me", a request for "Stompin' At The Savoy" to which the club dancers did a Lindy line dance. Brenda did some more of her scat on "They Can't Take That Away From Me" then Kevin with "Mack the Knife", Brenda doing "I Love Being Here With You" and she meant it. They ran through some more standards. I danced with Max. Isador danced with Luz, I danced with Ji---no-no---

Brenda and Jesse joined voices on "A Train" and a young couple, Tracy and Amos, did a 'hop-lindy'. A 13 year old named Rose Prochansky, taught me that step in 1944. I married her in 1981. When Brenda did "All Of Me" Mike took the opportunity to show his JAZZ skills with a dynamite solo. Jesse and Brenda had them swinging with "Sunny Side" and he did an incredible closing which had the audience up and applauding. Kevin with "Witchcraft" then Brenda doing "Bye-Bye Blackbird" to close the show. Kevin leaves the stage but the dancers want "one more" asking for "Perdido". Jesse takes a seat at the kit and does a good job, concentrating mainly on the ride cymbal. Kevin returns to the stage to do a scat duo with Brenda. The band does a little stop-time to allow Jesse a solo on the drums. Again the ride cymbal, tss a tss-tss a tss-tss. Hey Jesse, if you would like to take lessons, I'll talk to Danny Burger for you.  Check the music listings for where these wonderful musicians will be appearing next-----          

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

1 comment :

  1. Al Love your new pic and the hat cool man. Hey we had fun at the Arts Garage didn't we .Music,wine food and dancing " Who could ask for anything More" :) Love and music always Barbara Van and yes I do pay Mike more than the quarter ,tho never enough his talent expertise and love of the music as well as having fun with me on stage has no price that's adequate :)

    ReplyDelete