Thursday, August 8, 2013

When a shirt...(of Allen Kanovsky's is of legal age to get a beer at The Fish House, we know what he is going to get for his birthday present!!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 8/8/13

...you have on is older than any member of the band, you might think that the music won't live up to expectations. If you were at The Fish House in Miami last night you would know that your assumption was wrong. David Leon(alto) plays host to the Wednesday JAZZ Jam at this good sea-food restaurant. With him as the house band are Gary Thomas(bass) Harley Basadre(guitar) and Ryan Hecker plays drums. I don't know if David spied my shirt but the band opened with "I'm Old Fashioned". Maybe it was just me. I'm a lot older than my shirt (JVC JAZZ Festival 1988). Then a real be-bop number titled "Inner Urge". David demonstrated the full rich tone which can be achieved with a saxophone when they played "Skylark" and traded solos with Harley. Bill Rutan was seated with me and they played his favorite "Yardbird Suite". Frank Consola (WDNA 88.9FM) joined us as the band did the standard "Night & Day". David and Harley did a complex counterpoint duo on sonny Rollins' "Valtz Hot". They closed the set with a swinging "Perdido". During the song, Harley did a pizzicato solo that we loved and he was really satisfied with. David traded 1s with Ryan, then 4s and 8s.

During the break Frank told me of the partnership of WDNA and JAZZ Radio Berlin. His show is broadcast the following day to all of Europe.

The jammers listed are all or mostly students at the New World School of the Arts. Carter Hall(trumpet), Trevor Bezil(bass), Franchesca Romero(piano), Jose Bermudez(Guitar), Alex Laviona(trombone), Ben Waas(Bass), Jose Albizu(bass), Thomas Dover(trombone), Robert Vega Doda(trumpet) and vocalists Justine Garcia and Melinda Rodriguez. I think I missed a couple of guys, soprano sax and another trombone. Sorry guys. Whoa I almost forgot(not reaally 'cause he is "Unforgettable) Ian Be-bop Jr. Munoz. He's been 11 years old for a couple of weeks. Ian gets the first solo of the 2d set and they play Charley Parkers "Now's The Time". His tone is incredible and not only for a youngster. Trombone, trumpet and piano solos are all inspired, maybe because of the wait to play. Frank and I both remark how "Do the Hucklebuck" had the opening phrases of "Now's". Capt. Bob has now joined the party as the Jammers continue to impress. There's a burst of applause as Jim Gasior comes into the room. I guess the kids are trying for better grades or a spot in the JAZZ band. The band decides on "St. Thomas" in order to show off their chops for Mr. Gasior. A growling trumpet solo by Carter, a reggae rhythm one by  soprano player Trevor Bezil. Franchesca blows the keys off the keyboard and Be-bop Jr. takes everybodys' breath away.

I turn to Jim saying he should recruit Franchesca as a student and am immediately reminded of how dense I am. She is already one of his students. I don't want to hear anything about my age causing dysfunctional behavior. Melinda gets up to sing "Route 66". She is using her phone to help with the lyrics. It doesn't work as well as you might think. Her voice makes up for it. Back in the day they would have just scatted a few bars. Jim(the genius) Gasior comes to the stage and they do "Autumn Leaves" with Justine doing the vocal and great solos by Jim on keys and Robert on trumpet. On to an up tempo be-bop tune (title unknown to me). Jim takes the first solo, the David, then Carter, followed by Josh on guitar. When they play "What Is This Thing" I can't help but notice the expressive nature or Thomas dover's solo. Franchesca's right hand does magical things on the keyboard. Lessons well learned. The "Music Went 'Round and 'Round" and stopped just before my bedtime. 

A short aside; I like to give musicians my own nicknames, ie: Jim the Genius, David the Bopster, CarloMagnifico, and little Ian, Be-bop Jr. Ian's nickname came about after I spoke with his Mom several weeks ago and she referred to him as "The Shrimp". After hearing Master Munoz play I knew I had to call him something else. Thus Be-bop Jr. It turns out that his mother had never referred to him as "The Shrimp" at any time prior to that night and it has become a Munoz family joke. I wonder what Ian is planning to get his mother for her birthday? 

Note: there is a charity event to be held at The Fish House in the coming weeks. Please check the sked!

Tracy on the radio with Warren Wolf(vibraphonist)  G'night, y'all!      

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment