Sunday, August 25, 2013

The story begins...(...and ends with Paulette Dozier, and Allen Kanovsky, of course, because he is writing it!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 8/25/13

...with the tragedy of Billie  Holiday's life. I had heard Paulette Dozier only one time, before seeing her in "Lady Day At Emersons Bar and Grill." That performance left an everlasting impression and made me a life long fan. I was so excited about seeing her last night, that I changed shirts 3 times before leaving home. My excitement was well founded by her performance. First the rhythm section. I have dubbed them the "Latin Mafia", Carlomagn'ific'o Araya on drums, Kai Sanchez(bass) and longtime pal, Mike Orta at the piano. Maybe Paulette's seven year stint in Venezuela has left a bit of clave in her blood. Now about HER. Damon Runyon and Duke Ellington might use the word 'doll'. Cab Callaway would say 'frail'. Way back, even before me, Rudi Vallee  said 'vamp'. Sometimes I invoke 'gals'. Girl, lady or woman. Miss, Ms. or Mrs. Paulette is all of that. Her voice and style are smoky and sexy. Do I have to say more? The band, sans Paulette, did an hour of showing their individual skills. Then Ms. Dozier took the stage. This was a 'live' recording session for her upcoming CD, "Paulette Live". The playlist included "Lady Is A Tramp", "Mack the Knife", "Night & Day",(exceptional solos by Mike & Kai) "Rollin' on the River", "Stormy Monday" and others. She concluded the set with an original composition by her and Mike Levine named "In Walked You". It is also the title tune of a recently released CD. A large group of Paulette fans had come in. Doris, Carey & C Brian Hart, Pam & Frank DePiola, Debbie Holmes, Jennifer King, Christopher Dockett, Donna, Bonnie and Dolores. I mention them because of how much they enjoyed the music. The 2d set had a distinct Latin flavor, starting with "Oye como Va",and "Es Ultime Noche". Of course I danced with Mike's girl friend, songstress Luz Salazar. Paulette sang the first set in a dazzling white, shirred bodice gown. Now to suit the hot Latin mode the dress was bright red. "One Note Samba", "Girl From Ipanema" and "Besame Mucho" kept us 'South of the Border'. When she did "I'm A Woman" the lyric line---I'll feed you grits and when you need loving I'll give you the shivering fits" did just that to me. Whew!!!  She sang another original "Over and Over Again" and by request "Summer Breeze". To conclude the evening Paulette did the 'Platters' "Only You" Only she did it ala Paulette Dozier and it brought the audience to their feet with adoration and applause.---

I generally do not review venues because I am not a food critic nor do I write stuff for Architectural Digest. I do know what I like and what I hope to find when I am out for a night of listening. Tavolino della Nonna--Gramdma's Table--is not your fathers Italian Restaurant. This is reminiscent of the glamour of the grand rooms of The Apple back in the day. CafĂ© Society downtown, the Astor Roof and if you are as old as I, Ben Maksiks Riviera overlooking the Hudson.  JAZZ joints in "black tie". The entire restaurant is done in soft, dark tones. The performance area is set well away from the chatter at the bar. Dining areas equally removed. The space in front of the stage has lots of cozy tables for two. Ensconced at one of those tables, bobbing their heads and tapping their toes were Mariela Mayzior and Jeff Biegelsen. Seated in front of me were Trish and Roni Chiaveria who are Eddie Pozzuoli's partners in this ambitious and worthwhile project. The dinner menu comes on Kindle-like back lighted tableau. Easy to read in a soft-lit room. Off of the bar menu I ordered the Antipasto Salad. $14. There is no way in the world they could have made a dime off of that platter. Luz, Mike and I shared. There was even a little left over. The service (Christina) was courteous and efficient.  I left happy, satisfied and sure to return.

News to brighten the day: Carlo has completed his first week of study on his way to a Doctorate Degree!!!! Congrats--     


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment