Friday, August 23, 2013

The sound of music...(is in Allen Kanovsky's ears, for certain!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 8/23/13

...can be the ticket to travel in time. Last night at the Coral Gables Congregational Church, the Community Arts Project (Mark Hart, director) concluded its summer JAZZ program with a concert by John Pizzarelli accompanied by his brother Martin on bass.  They opened playing the standard "My Blue Heaven". It didn't take more than the first few bars to take me back to the 40's. John's easy, swinging style and his pleasant '3 o'clock in the morning' voice provide an easy ride into the past. "I'm Confessing That I Love You" and this old dawg is dancing with his sweetheart at his senior prom-1949. Taking the ride with me, are Bette Forman(Arts Garage), Joe Donato(the world), Paul Shewchuck(bass), Jeannette Pina and her Dad(dedicated JAZZophiles), Ted Gross and his Mom(WLRN), and Tony Messina(JAZZ harmonica). "I Got Rhythm" followed and these brothers definitely do 'got rhythm'. Happiness reared it smiley face when they did "Frim-Fram Sauce", The merry mood continued with "She Said I was the Best Man". The closing line of that lyric--'I was the best man, when she married my best friend' tickled me when I was pretty young and still does now that I am very old. John's patter reveals a fine sense of humor and his delivery is perfect. John chose to do a Johnny Mercer novelty tune titled "Jamboree Jones". It tells the tale of a clarinet player winning a football game. Now that's a novelty. Their "Route 66" has John scatting in unison with his strumming and is a lesson in harmonics. Perfect! John then tells about Bobby Troupe who wrote "66" and a meeting with Nat King Cole where Bobby gave Nat the tune that he made famous "Baby, Baby, All the Time". The 2d set, had us continuing our visit to the 40's with "You Make Me Feel So Young" with audience participation. John has a way of making an audience feel good. "In the Wee Small Hours Of the Morning" put me in a Manhattan bar, "The Lost and Found", at closing time, way 'back in the day'. Back in the happy face mood "Ringadingding" and then the story of his meeting with Frank Sinatra. The meeting was extremely brief. Frank said only 5 words to John. "Eat something. You look bad". Traveling even further back in time they do a song made popular by the Ink Spots, "We Three". John paid homage to his Dad, Bucky(88), by telling some of his musical history and all the stars he played with and for. The audience joins in again on "Ruby,Ruby" and it is a fun party. They do "Squeeze Me","Satin Doll", "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" and with an introductory story, Milt Gablers lyric to "In A Mellow Tone". ----the story--- Milt Gabler is Billy Crystals uncle. At Billy's Bar Mitzvah, Louis Armstrong makes an appearance. Billy's Mom suggests to Louis that he should try "Clearing your throat". There really is something special about Jewish moms----and Italian moms---and Latina moms-----and Asian moms-----HEY!!!!! ALL MOMS ARE SPECIAL!  

The Community Arts Program completed its auditions for their JAZZ program in May. My best wishes for their continued success. Thursday night yet to be determined...


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment