Tuesday, August 6, 2013

If you want to avoid...(...Allen Kanovsky, we suggest you DON'T hang out in these places he writes about!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 8/6/13

...those Monday night BLUES, than I suggest getting out to listen to some BLUES. A good place for that on Monday nights is Al Poliak's Funky Biscuit, where Dave Shelley hosts a weekly Jam. The house band along with Dave is Drew Preston(guitar/vocals), Randy Ridenhauer(drums), Tom Regis(B3/keys) and Charles Gaspar(bass guitar). I have referred to Al as the "B" man because he does it all----bus boy, bar back, bowl attendant, etc. Last night he added another job to the list, lighting director. As the band was setting up, he was adjusting spots so that the lighting was "just right". I hate to say it but lights are not going to make Dave or Drew look better or worse. Let's talk about better. Walk into the Biscuit on Monday night and you feel better right away. The place is filling up with BLUES players who have come to Jam and Jam they will. The band starts with "Who's Your Baby Now", then "Pretty Woman" with Dave doing vocals and Drew a nice guitar solo. They followed with a crossroads type traditional, "I'd Be Nowhere Without You In My Life". Never a truer lyric has been written. "Born Under A Bad Sign" gives Regis a chance to show off the rich tones of the B3. Dave brings some Jammers up including Ken Burgner(bass) and Mark Weinstein?? on guitar. Ken is well known amongst JAZZ artists. Bluesy Dan from N.Y.(guitar) gets up and Regis moves to the keyboard. The rhythm gets a little funky with "Don't You Lie To Me" and Jim Drury(tenor sax) joining in. Dave Jacobs(guitar) is now on stage and the close the set with "I Get Evil As A Man Can Be and "If You're Ever Down In Texas". Next up is a Tom Petty tribute band called "Timeless Tom". I must admit that I am somewhat regretful, but, I don't review tribute bands the same way I don't do records or musicians playing with tracks. I took a breather and had the opportunity of talking with Charles Gaspar. Charles was brought up on a Zuni reservation. His early influences were R&B records that his Mom & Dad played day and night. I spoke with Jim Drury. It turns out that he and Ed Calle were classmates and friends at U.M. back in the day. After the "Petty" band, the young J.L. Fulks took the stage with 'his' band. Tom Regis(B3/keys), Chuck Fiore(drums) and Mason Randell(bass). They start with an Eric Clapton tune "I'll Be Here When the Sun Goes Down" If you haven't heard J.L., I suggest you look for him. It won't be long before he hits the "Bright Lights, Big City". They do a traditional crossroads tune and follow with "Mojo Workin'."

The house band returns plus Bluesy Dan, Jim Drury, Mike Marciano(harp/vocals), Billy Jolly(B3) and Dr. Tzvi Pearlstein on pocket trumpet. As Louis Jordan once said "The Joint Is Jumpin" and then they decided to tear the house down. They invited D. Mannell(bass) to the stage. "Sweet Home, Chicago", combined with "Let the Good times Roll, has 'em all up and dancing. They won't let D. off the stage He does "Just Don't Know" with Regis doing an inspired keyboard solo. They close the night with D. having everyone clapping their hands and shouting out. Jimmie Belize had joined me and Tania Blue gave me her traditional kiss on the lips. In the car Tracy was clever enough to have Carlo Mag(nific)o Araya, Mike Orta, Maria Rivas and Dr. Lonnie Smith join in the ride home.---and that's how you avoid those Monday Night BLUES!!!!!!      

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment