Thursday, August 15, 2013

I don't often share...


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 8/15 /13

...recipes. The reason being my cooking is like a JAZZ solo. It's dependent on how I am feeling at the moment. A bit more of this, a little less of that, poco mas picante, a bissel of schmaltz(rendered chicken fat) and so on. Last night Keith Clark of the Miami JAZZ Society shared the recipe for a perfect evening of music. Start with the beat. A tasty touch of drums supplied by James Cotman. A bit more rhythm by adding Paul Shewchuk on bass. Liven the flavor with Brian Murphy at the keyboard. Combine gently with Jesse Jones Jr. on alto and flute and nothing will be tastier or provide more pure pleasure. Jesse is a treasure. He loves to entertain a crowd of listeners. Whether it be patter, scat or just plain blowin', it his mission to provide you with a feeling of satisfaction. The band starts the set with Cannonball's "Sack of Woe". It is a kind of happy BLUES. When the song is done, Jesse asks the auditorium audience if it was 'too loud'. No way. It is just right. Next a Sam Jones comp and I am slack-jawed at Jesse's articulation of the speedy passages. They are playing full and some times 2 chorus solos. Brian is playing and I wonder how can you explain Brian Murphy. Touch, imagination, sometimes playful, sometimes dead serious. Raucous when needed, tender when appropriate. Clave in his heart and the BLUEs as a basis of everything he plays. Paul Shewchuk is something else altogether. Pre-mature silver hair and never without a smile. The smile is reflected in his play. James Cotman is pushing all of them to play their very best and they do. Hoagy Carmichael wrote "Stardust" long before Jesse Jones Jr. was born. He wrote it, so that someday, Jesse would play it. "Stardust" is a tune I have heard a thousand or more times. It was the first popular song I played from sheet music when I was 13 years old. In all these years, not once have I heard it played with more sensitivity and feeling than last night. Jesse, Brian, Paul and James did it like they were talking to the love of their life. I knew it and everybody else in the audience felt it as well. Jesse introduced the next song by saying "I can't sing but I'm gonna do it anyway". They strike up "The Best Things In Life". It's not the best voice in town but he is in tune. And then Mr. Jones did what no one can come close to. Scat vocalogy. It is Jesse's native tongue. Holy triplets, you ain't heard nuttin' 'til you hear those non-word words. Pure JAZZ. Jesse is comfortable in all the JAZZ genres. It is my personal opinion that he is most comfortable with be-bop phrasings. I will ask him next time. They select "Songs For My Father" that Jesse had played as a youngster at the 'Double Deck' in the late 60's. During Brian's solo, the Latin in his Irish soul emerges and the rhythm of clave permeates the room. Paul 'takes his time' and plays some of the deepest notes I have ever heard emanating from a bass fiddle. Again Jesse does a bit of 'scat'. It seems to me that it was invented for him to do. Their break song is an upbeat "C-Jam" and they do. The 2d set opened with Freddy Hubbard's "Gibraltar". Be-bop plus. Jesse's solo had me thinking of other alto players, 'trane, 'Bird', Hodges----Jesse is unique. He is Jesse Jones Jr. Period, exclamation point. James has his turn and does a memorable solo. Opening the next tune, Jesse does an introductory cadenza, first saying that no one knows this song. Being as brilliant as I am, I recognize it in the first three notes Jesse plays. "Georgia". I write it down and point it out to the guy sitting next to me. He is unimpressed. I am!!! Sure enough--it's "Georgia". I am bursting with personal pride. Jeannette Pina who had been seated on my other side but had a previous engagement and had already left. C'mon, won't anybody give me an "attaboy". Mom??

Back to bop with John Coltrane's "Mister T.C.". Brian's solo triplets are alive and well. James does a 5 star solo and Jesse does a horse whistle ending ala Illinois Jacquet. Next, the standard, "Caravan" with Jesse and Paul "foolin 'round". Jesse picks up his flute for "Swinging Shepherd BLUES". and swing they do. Jesse uses his voice on the flute creating an unusual new sound. Brian reveals his inner self when playing BLUES licks. Like it's always 'after hours' somewhere. The song becomes a conversation between the players. The audience is only invited to listen in. The music they play is making me feel good and really glad that I came. The short last set opens with Horace Silver's "Quick Silver" which is based on "Oh. You Beautiful Doll". During his solo, Jesse, quotes "Donkey Serenade" and "Joshua 'fit the Battle of Jericho". An unusual pairing, to say the least. They close doing requests from the audience. "Watermelon Man'. slow at first but then picking it up. "So What"(mine) and "St. Thomas". Jesse says goodnight with "Love, Peace and JAZZ". Thanks to Jesse, Brian, Paul, James and Keith Clark for all that they give to me.


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment