Saturday, August 17, 2013

Do you know the difference...( well, we know Allen Kanovsky does!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 8/17/13

...between 'chillin' it' and kickin' it'. If not, here is a brief lesson in "hiplish". You chill it in sun light or moonlight. You kick it in candlelight or lamplight. You chill with a beer. You kick with a Jack. Chillin' it is fun with girls around. Kickin' it is fun with women around. Sand under your feet or polished bamboo. I hope you get my drift. A couple of Tuesdays ago I chilled at the Havana Hideout in Lake Worth. Last night I kicked it at Soyka's in Miami. Kickin' it with Mike Orta playing bass, Kai Sanchez strumming the bass and the more than lovely Luz Salazar doing a vocal here and there. This review is short and sweet because all I need to do is show the playlist and you will know that not only I, but the band was kickin' it as well. Start with "Alice in Wonderland", "Bye Bye Blackbird", "There Will Never be Another You", "I Fall In Love Too Easily", "Speak Low When You Speak Love". During "Speak" Mike can't help himself and breaks into a purely Latin solo. Chord structure, rhythm and all. After the break, Mike shows the part of him that's from the Emerald Isle and plays "My Wild Irish Rose" with a 3 note Basie finish. He can't escape Ireland and follows with "Danny Boy". There's not a dry eye in the house. Piano Bob stops by to say "Hi". The notes of "Satin Doll" are being played and I lean forward to pay close attention. Mike and Kai connect 125th and Lenox with the sandy beaches of Brazil. Staying south of the Equator they do Jobims "Agua De Marche" and close the set with a decidedly blue BLUES.

The third set starts with Luz singing a 'bolero' en espanol, follows with a rhumba rhythm "S'Wonderful" in English and a samba "Girl From Ipenema" in both. She has now covered 3 of the most popular Ritmo Latino. Mike and Kai decide on "East of the Sun" and I dance a little "salsa" with Luz. They swing "Secret  Love" and Luz returns to complete her Latin tour with a cha-cha whose title I do not know. They say goodnight with an appropriate "That's All" In the audience I spy James Cotton(drums). He is recovering from a bout with cancer and is doing well. Prayers always help. Then I saw Kimona, she appears at Magnum the first Sunday of every month. While I am doing 'commercials', Jaoi Schneider has a full size 6'2" Lester piano for sale. Tonight Arts Garage.

Tracy was playing "Last Time I saw Janeen". I knew a gal named Janeen once. In California. Tall, built, pretty and unfortunately happily married-------so was I.


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment