Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Do not send...(...Allen Kanovsky anywhere there is not music!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 8/27/13

...an alert. Dave Shelly is missing but is sure to be found if you're willing to wend your way to Wyoming. Hey!! Wait a sec. Great title for a country & western tune. "Willing to Wend Your Way to Wyoming". I can hear you laughing. I will laugh when it's a big hit on Grand Ol' Opry. Dave is missing but not the Monday BLUES Jam at The Funky Biscuit. Albert Poliak at the B3, Drew Preston(guitar) and 3 guys I've never heard before, Rich Friedman(guitar/vocals), Joel Bacisteri--close as I can guess---(bass) and Dave Bartok on drums. Al said he saw a kid in the parking lot(Dave) with a big snare drum under his arm and invited him in. I think the first song of the set was called "Spanish Spoon" but am not totally sure. I was sitting with Jimmy Belize and that tends to fog my mind. Drew took the first solo and Rich followed. I knew then I was going to enjoy the music. I certainly did. They played the BLUES, some funk and some rock. Al sang---Rich sang---thank you Drew for not singing. The Jam set opened with Sista Mary Beth accompanied by Chick Fiore on bass and Dave on the kit. Al couldn't resist and got up to play keys. Sista never sounded better doing 4 good songs. Mark followed with "If This Is Love. I Want My Money Back"----I started to nod and knew if I didn't leave I would end up sleeping on a barroom floor----it wouldn't be the first time----.

There's another aspect to listening to music aside from the musicians and the venue. The sound system. Easy to say, not so easy to master. Ray Rivard is the sound technician at the Biscuit. He had some mentors along the way but is mostly self-taught. Trial and error are great teachers. He's been at it for 15 years. The last ten as an independent. He and Albert met on the job, Al in a band, Ray with a special sound system. When Albert opened the Funky Biscuit he asked Ray for some help. They have been together ever since. Getting the sound as good as it is in this room was a tough gig. Ray solved it and got it right. 

The best "jook joint" sound and service in town. I always leave with a smile on my 'puss'.

Hi Tracy---a pleasant surprise----Silvano Monasterios as a guest and playing his and Troy Roberts music. Great ride home---Silvano, Friday nite---Arts Garage---better get your tix today.     


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment