Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Cinderella is...(NOT usuallys seen where Allen Kanovsky hangs, but hey, she just might for kicks and giggles some night!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 8/7/13

...a fairy tale where a gal with a wand transforms stuff from one thing to another. Like a pumpkin to a carriage and mice into horses. Well that gal with that wand is hanging out in South Florida. She lives somewhere in Boca Raton. Maybe in the office of some plastic surgeon. My bet is she hides out in the Funky Biscuit. Why? Well, lets take the case of Tom Regis. Monday night, Tom is a member of Dave Shelley's house band, playing the BLUES on B3 and keyboard. Tuesday he fronts a band 'FinkaFunk'???', playing 3 electronic keyboards including a Roland RO250, YamahaMO6 and a Korg. The band is a JAZZ oriented group with a heavy Latin foundation. The transformation from genre to genre is so stark that it is hard for me to recognize Tom as the same musician that I saw just the night before. Are there 2 Tom Regises. Definitely. A BLUES master and then a Mambo King. The Havana Hideaway is the name of the joint where the JAZZ hangs out with Tom, Raul Hernandez(drums/vocals), Tom Benson(guitar), Philip MacArthur(bass) and Nelson Colon(congas).

Boca Raton is as different from Lake Worth as the Upper West Side of Manhattan is from Greenwich Village.

They open the Tuesday session with a brief but interesting "Night In Tunisia". My 'bud' Jimmy Belize and his friend Maxine were there when I arrived. Last Tuesday they came way late and heard only the last couple of songs. They liked it so much they didn't want to miss a single note last night. Also Kaz Silver was there with her sister Deb. Deb is just as lovely, put together and at least a foot taller. My ticker beat just a bit more rapidly in anticipation of possibly dancing with either or both of these siblings.

The band remembered George Duke. RIP. He had passed away earlier in the day and was a pioneer in Fusion in combination with Funk.  The program paid homage to past masters including Pancho Sanchez, Opa and the Buena Vista Social Club. Originals by the 2 Toms were featured as well. "Y' um Bom Bay". "Afro-Blue", "ComBombay" , a salsa rhythmed "Autumn Leaves" with Raul doing the lyrics en espanol. Opa tune ity", "This Kind Of Thing" a true mambo, and a tune that the band finally decided should be called "Nelson In Love". I did dance with Kaz, Deb and another gorgeous gal(didn't get her name) from Argentina. A couple of Dos Equis Ambers, carne barbacoa tacos, blue corn chips with fresh made 'guac', a solid band, dancing with gals who like to dance, good friends and the magic of a musicians transformation, what more could one ask for-----oh----the "Real Tracy Fields" in the short on the ride home. 

Tonight, probably "The Fish House" in Miami. David Leon hosts a JAZZ jam on Wednesday nights. I say probably 'cause I really don't decide, for sure, until late afternoon. "Live every day like it's your last. Life is not a dress rehearsal"     

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment