Monday, August 19, 2013

An added dimension...(of that totally multi-dimensional guy, Allen Kanovsky!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 8/19/13

I love live music. No matter the genre, live is life at the moment. An added pleasure is getting to know something of the performers themselves. If you are fortunate to hear them early on in their careers you can hear them grow. That is the added dimension of live. Stage presence, technique, musical acumen, experience all add to the growth of the artist. As it happens I had listened to Lourdes Valentin in an early appearance at Blue Jeans BLUES. She was singing with Anthony Corrado, accompanied by a "track". Why, I don't know. Anthony plays every instrument on earth, Lourdes plays guitar also. In a conversation that day, I told them that tracks would lead them nowhere. I truly believed that it was good advice. The next time I heard them, several months later, they had added a rhythm section. Piano, bass and drums. An added dimension. A while later, Lourdes struck out on her own. "JAZZ Meets Broadway" became her theme. For a while Ms. Valentin was tentative in her approach to JAZZ. Last night there was a whole new 'girl' in town. She has embraced JAZZ like a new lover. Taking chances even in the first chorus. Scatting lines that are impressive and best of all singing with a bold new confidence in herself. Brava y ole`. Now, the band that helped Lourdes get 'there' last night. Mike Orta---again?---(piano), Orlando Machado of Sound of Vision at the drums, and professor Ranses colon on bass. The band opened the set with "How About You" with introductory solos by each. Lourdes takes the stage and opens with a rhumba rhythmed "Put On A Happy Face". Denise(a favored dance partner) has returned and we proceed to shake our hips together. 

A little about my dance partners for last night. They included Luz Salazar, Jackie(American Airlines), Doug's wife Ms. Anonymous (stingy brim sans hat), Yolanda Sher and the aforementioned Denise. I really needed to have a cardiologist close by, not only for the activity, but, the sheer beauty of each and everyone of these ladies is breathtaking. I continue to be one of the luckiest guys in the world. Mike is too. After "Happy" Lourdes chooses Billiie Holiday's "What a Little Moonlight Can Do" and she does it, swinging I mean. this is the growing Lourdes Valentin. Mike and Orlando show off a little also. She continued with "Night and Day", "Summertime", with a solid solo by Ranses, Juan Pizo's "Perdido" with another solo by Ranses, this time with a be-bop flavor. Lourdes now chooses to show her Puerto Rican (via THE BRONX) roots and sings the beautiful ballad "Cara Me"(Love Me) en espanol. The spiritual "Wade In the Water" , then from Broadway "Oh, What A Beautiful Morning" followed by "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" and returns to pure JAZZ, Mongo Santamaria's "Afro-Blue" to end the set. I couldn't help but notice a gorgeous woman seated in a booth with a man. Being as stupid as I can be I approached them and told the lady 'You are absolutely stunning" and then to the man "The only thing that saves you is the hat". He chuckled but in a menacing way. I ran for my life.

What better way to start a 2d set than with "On A Clear Day". She selected a seldom heard HaroldArlen/ E.Y Harburg title "The Eagle and Me". "Just Too Marvelous", rhumba rhythm and I am up and dancing. Sunrise,Sunset" done in waltz time. I don't 'waltz' too fat for delicate work. When Lourdes does "Close Your Eyes" I have three partners on the floor. Luz, Jackie and Yolanda--"Hello, Nurse Nancy?" I sit down, breathing heavily and hoping for the best. Ms. Valentin, thankfully slows it down with "Sentimental Reasons" and the an original composition titled "You Are". "The Way You Look Tonight" and then 'acapello' does "Isn't It A Lovely Day"--- and isn't it a lovely voice? Alto saxophonists, Alvin Paul joins them on stage for a be-bop tune. They invite Luz up and she sings a 'boler muy romantico' called "Contigo en la Distancia" .(With You Far Away) the lyric touches my heart strings.  Lourdes' version of "If I Only Had A Brain" is fun to listen to and it concluded the set. The final set is only one song long. "When You Wish Upon A Star". the lyric says "makes no difference where you are", I say try to make it at a place where there is live music in the background.

Final few words. At Anthony's jam, earlier in the afternoon, I bunked into Ricky Williams. He was one of the first musicians I had heard when I came to FL in '06. He sat in the jam playing some 'hot' piano. Then surprisingly he sat down at the drum set. He is bigger than the drum set and piano combined. He is also sight impaired. He is also very talented. Hannah(alto sax) and Neil Kogin(drums) sat in as well. The regular members of Anthony's band are Shea Eishen(drums) and Paul Banman(piano). Some day when there is time ask me about me, Ricky and the LOAN. Hey, during the jam set, Denise and I danced The Fish. It is a step from an age gone by----we laughed all the way through---tonight-undecided-depending on nap time!


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment