Thursday, July 11, 2013

What do you get...(with Allen Kanovsky in the room? Your guess is as good as mine!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 7/11/13

...when you take 2 Doctors add a genius and a drummer. Simple. A night filled with great JAZZ. That was the recipe and result at BJB's last night. Dr. Lisanne Lyons was accompanied by Dr. Jamie Ousley(bass), Jim(the genius) Gasior on piano and, new to the scene, Goetz Kujack on drums. Wednesday at BJB's is Danny Burger's traditional "Showcase" night. Danny is recovering from a wrist injury so in the meantime we are treated to some new faces on the skins. My pal, Dr. Jules Oaklander and I were meeting Bette and Eric(volunteers at Arts Garage) for an evening of "Good Vibrations". We were not disappointed. As the band was playing a preliminary tune, prior to Lisanne taking the stage, a guy jumps up, grabs the mic and starts to sing. It is somewhat shocking but we do live in a strange world. Especially on summer nights. He is singing some obscure tune with a discombombulated lyric. The band, all tried and true JAZZ professionals, play along until the guy exits the stage. Lisanne sits there, jaws agape, trying to figure out what just happened. She recovers quickly, takes the stage and breaks into "I've Got the World on a String". Dr. Lyons is a true JAZZ vocalist. Her timing, imagination and presentation are flawless. She follows with "In the Still of the Night", "I Thought About You" and then she and Jim the Genius play a moving "The Very Thought of You". They end the first set with "One Note Samba" with Lisanne displaying her scat chops. During the break I asked her about how she picked JAZZ as the genre of her choice in careers. The influence came from an inspiring band director at her high school in Sarasota where she played guitar in the band. The band returned with a swinging "The Way You Look Tonight". I knew it was swinging because even Jamie was bopping his head in time with the tune. By the way, Dr. Ousley has a new haircut. Short, no bangs and not parted in the middle.  Looks great!  Lisanne elected to sing a seldom heard "Detour Ahead". The tune evoked wonderful memories of years gone by and reminded me how much music has affected my life. She couldn't remember who wrote it when she sang "Day In. Day Out" --Johnny Mercer--She sang Jobim's "GiGi' I couldn't help but notice that Lisanne makes it exciting whether it is a jump tune or a tender ballad.
In the key of G she sang "All of Me" with a bop lyric line that made it special and fun. Mari Bell had joined the audience and told me how much she had enjoyed the evening. It was Diane's(long time bar server) birthday which unfortunately I missed. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DIANE!!!! Dr. Jules and I left to join the Real Tracy Fields and listened to a lot of be-bop trumpets all the way home. Tonight, the gang from Dillard will be at All That JAZZ CafĂ©. It's a possibility.  

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment