Friday, July 26, 2013

The Lord, the church and JAZZ... (And Allen Kanovsky is in there somewhere, right?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 7/26/13

Last night, my friend Dr. Jules invited me to join him for a concert to be held at the Coral Gables Congregational Church of Christ’s Community Arts Program. Mark Hart, the Community Arts Director, hosts a series of JAZZ concerts at the church. Last night it was the Brubeck Brothers Quartet. The brothers Brubeck are (in age order) Don (drums) and Chris (Bass guitar/bass trombone). The rest of the quartet are Chuck Lamb(piano/keys) and much travelled Mike DeMicco (guitar). The program paid homage to their Dad, the late Dave Brubeck. Dave was a talented musician and prolific innovator and composer. His recording of "Take Five" is the all-time biggest JAZZ record in history. Joe Donato (sax/etc) sat with the good Dr. and I. In the audience were radio personalities Ted Grossman and Melodious Mel, amongst other well known JAZZ world figures. The church itself presents a beautiful setting for music with great acoustics.

The play list included many of Dave's hits and some not so often heard tunes like "Kathy’s Waltz", "In Your Own Sweet Way" and "Blues For Newport". "Blues" was composed, by Dave, in about 10 minutes just prior to its being played at the Newport JAZZ Festival. Ella Fitzgerald inspired the writing of "My One Bad Habit Is Falling In Love".

Chris spoke about some family history, their early years and their eldest brother, Darius. Darius emigrated to South Africa at a dangerous time in that countries history. In spite of difficulties he organized youthful JAZZ musicians into a multi-ethnic band which he called "JAZZANIAN". As music often does, it brought people together in a special way. Dave wrote a composition with the band name as the title. During the Eisenhower administration the President initiated a program of JAZZ Ambassadors who traveled around the globe introducing America's own art form to the world. During one of the stops in Turkey. Dave listened to the rhythms being played by street musicians. The time signature was in '9's. Thus "Blue Rondo ala Turk". I've said it before but I must repeat it. It seems to me that when JAZZ musicians play in a House of Worship, somehow, they play a little beyond the normal performance level. It was true again last night. The G-d-given gift of talent was displayed with every solo.  A Duke Ellington inspired tune, arranged by Chuck Lamb had us all tappin' and clappin'. The show ended, of course, with "Take Five". I would be remiss if I didn't mention one of the most incredible drum solos I have ever heard. Don plays a 4 cymbal kit. If you put him in a soundproof room and you watched from outside, you could tell exactly what he was playing. His facial expression told the story. Dan played with background by Chris. The solo lasted "Forever and A Day", probably 10 minutes or so. The audience was spell-bound by rhythmic patterns that were original but constantly reflected the melodic line. SUPERB.

The Church's Community Arts Program's JAZZ orchestra were in the Essentially Ellington competition at Lincoln Center this spring. I was privileged to have been there and heard them. It was the first year that Community programs had been considered for eligibility. It is a credit to Mark Hart and the young people who worked so hard to get there. Continued success to all. Friday is a tough day for decisions. Great JAZZ all over the lot. I think my evening will be the Bass Museum and then onto Joe's Stone Crab. CU  

*EDITOR’S NOTE*
Upcoming show info for this series: http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/Miami 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment