Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Nobody knows you when you're....(NOT Allen Kanovsky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 7/26/13

...down and out. -----Except the folks at the Funky Biscuit. It's Monday. You're day has been dismal, friends not answering your calls, the dog did his business on the carpet and stuff like that. " Grab your coat and grab your hat, just direct your feet to" The Funky Biscuit in Boca Raton. It's Jam night every Monday and plenty of musicians come out to listen and play. Additionally, the staff and clientele are made up of friendly folks.

Fortunately Jimmy Belize (the photg whose pix of me is at the top) still answers my calls and we arrange to meet. Jimmy brings his gal pal Max. Jay Skolnick is already there as is Piano Bob with Mary, Tania Blues and a slew of musicians. The house band for the night is out of New Orleans, Billy Iuso and the Restless Natives.

Billy plays guitar and does vocals. Eddie Christmas is at the kit, Thomas McDonald plays bass and at the 'house' B3 is Mikey'B3' Burlcat. They do a really nice set of BLUES oriented rock with a definitive N'Awlins style including "Do What You Say", "Do Or Die", "Trippin' On The Trail" and Thomas doing vocal things on "You May Ask Yourself ".  Billy does an original that he wrote and dedicated to his wife. It has a meaningful lyric with a nice melodic line, "We'll See It Through". Billy sings a haunting "2 Days In the Shadows" and "Where I've Been All Day" which has some interesting chord structure.  The Jam starts with Al Zilinsk , Glenn Allen and Drew Preston joining in on guitar. Dr. Tzvi Pearlstein plays pocket trumpet and Albert Poliak sits down at the B3. The stage is star-studded but I must be honest and say the brightest star tonight was Drew. If ever a BLUES guitarist had it down, even though his solos were short, it was Mr. Preston tonight. Piano Bob couldn't resist and he climbed aboard to play some keyboard. Mauricio takes Al's place on the B3. A couple of tables away form where I, Jimmy and Max were seated there were 3 women, young ladies actually.

They seemed to be 'into' the music and I approached them to see what they thought about it. That's the editorial reason. The facts are that one of them had passed in front of me and I couldn't help but admire the way she carried herself. Posture, demeanor, attitude. Everything that constitutes today's young, independent women. I had to find out who she was. Her tablemates had the same attributes. A pair of sisters, Chelsea and Cheryl Margolies and Brooke Diaz. They had work on Tuesday and couldn't stay all the way through the Jam. Regarding women, a favorite subject of mine, there is one who loves to dance solo at the Biscuit. Her name is Isabella Reynoso. She dances the BLUES. I mean just that. Unabashedly, she will take the center of the dance floor and interpret the BLUES with movement. It is difficult to take your eyes away from the activity. I say "goodnight" to all and go to be with the Real Tracy Fields on the radio (91.3 FM WLRN.) Ms. Fields is playing music from South American musicians. As I make the last few turns for home, appropriately she plays Jesse Jones Jr.'s "I'm Going Home". Jesse's flute solo is an all-time favorite. G'night Tracy. G'night Jesse and good night world. If "Tuesday's just as bad" it won't be bad at all. Al Poliak's birthday coming up. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AL. Tonight Little Mike (of Little Mike and The Tornadoes) makes a rare south Florida appearance at Boston's in Delray. Note an early 8PM start.   

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment