Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Losing a friend...(Allen Kanovsky knows...)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 7/10/13

Monday afternoon I received the sad news that my friend Tom Ackrill had passed away. (Obituary in SunSentinel) I had met Tom at Mrs. Murphy's several years ago, when they still had a Sunday JAZZ jam. Tom was a dedicated fan of live JAZZ and he, Flo and I became fast friends. We sometimes shared buckets of steamed clams before our nightly quests for good music. Tommy, my friend, rest gently in the Lord's arms.
The sad news bummed me out. It seems that since Flo's passing in September an awful lot of friends have gone on to meet her in Heaven.

I forced myself to get dressed and get out Tuesday night. I am glad I did. A mental screw-up made me miss the 2 films at the Tower. I hope they do that again. Dragging my butt, I made it to BJB's for Rita Wilburn and Tony Nicolosi. They were joined on stage by Mitch Goldstein(Hammond Sk4) and Ramon Corales on drums.

My spirits were somewhat lifted by seeing friends, Babette and RonAnonymous. Seated nearby was a trio of fashionable ladies, bobbing their heads in time to the music. Holly Carroll (I remember dancing with her) and her friends Maryann Bongiorno and Barbara Brilton were really enjoying the soul filled show. Rita's swinging style does inspire people to get up and dance. A couple got up o do a little bit of jitterbugging. Lots of original steps and spins. You could tell this was not their first time on the floor together. Actually they've been doing it for 46 years and still love it. Doris and Bernie Speigel. She's originally from Worcester, Mass. and he from Montreal. Bernie let me know that he's 84(she's much younger). That information bummed me out again. Here's a guy, older than me, that looks better than me and dances better than me. G-d bless them both.

I concentrated on the performers. The 2d set was everything anyone could ask for. Started out with a guitar solo by Tony doing "101 Eastbound" followed by his vocal, "Going Home". Rita came up, scatting the first few bars and then singing, in a true JAZZ style, "Fly Me To The Moon". Smoothly switching styles to a funky "Superstition" she had 'em up dancing, including Ronanonymous and Rita's friend Anna Burrell. The couple showed off some of Ron's Detroit moves. I danced with the three ladies previously mentioned. Bernie and Doris were joined by Holly and pleased the on-lookers with a dynamite trio dance. Dorothy Morrison joined Rita singing "At Last". They each made it their "own". Another friend, Alfreda had arrived and she joined Ron and I. Kilmo had a night off and he was there, listening. Rita did a swinging "Blue Moon" and Tony did "Rainy Night in Georgia". My blue mood was dissipating and when Tony opened the final set with a virtuoso guitar solo of "Stairway To Heaven" it had me leaning forward to concentrate on every note. It was Rita's turn but she wasn't sure she wanted to follow Tony's beautiful playing. A couple of words about Rita last night. I will start with the dress. Tight, just above the knee, lace and the lining matched her skin tone. The effect was immediate and called for medication. Her moves on stage were definitely not learned while singing in Church. She did "Rock Me Baby" ending it with her original lyric----'kiss me here and there-kiss me everywhere' Hello!! 911? Please send the EMT!!! It was a young man's (Tre) birthday and Rita did a gospel laced "Happy Birthday". She really 'took it to church' with a soulful "Summertime". During the sets Ramon did a couple of vocals but was particularly impressive on a samba that invoked thoughts of Carnivale. I left happier than when I came and turned on and was turned on by the Real Tracy Fields who had an Andy Bey vocal being played when I hit the switch.  Wednesday nite is still up for grabs---- 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment