Saturday, July 27, 2013

Have tuxedo will travel...(Allen Kanovsky gets his tail(s) around town!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 7/27/13

Way back in the day, Downbeat magazine had a classified section where musicians would advertise their wares. It generally started with the title words and would continue with "double on----" or "sight read", etc. Last night I doubled. Not on any instrument but on venues. First the Bass Museum and then Joe's Stone Crab.
 
The Bass Museum had Chuck Bergeron (bass) along with John Yarling (drums), Pete Wallace (piano/keyboard), Mark Salt (tenor sax) and Fernando Ulibarri (guitar). The house was SRO, as expected for this stellar quintet. We crowded a table for four into a table for six, including Manny & Chris Meland, Bill Vallier (his wife is not a JAZZophile), Ray, Patrick (both are ardent supporters of the Arts) and myself. The packed house was not to be disappointed. The band opened with a tune that gave each one a chance to show-off a bit. Mark played an innovative solo, followed by a very complex one by Fernando which included interesting time signature changes. Pete was next and created chords that were dissonant but also almost traditional sounding. John's solo was short, 10 or 12 bars, but dynamic. "The Order of St. George" played to a waltz tempo was Chuck's turn at wowing the audience. An Eddie Harris composition, "Gone Home" with a shuffle beat and syncopated breaks had heads in the crowd bobbing in time. It seems like everyone in town has rediscovered Cole Porter's "Love For Sale" I've heard it every night, in one form or another, for the last week. Chuck and the band did it in '2d Line'. Chuck told us that the song, originally written for a Broadway show, was banned from radio play because of the lyrics. Chuck and John did a 'spiritual'. The melody was familiar but I can't remember the title. Mid-way, Mark joined in. They closed the first set with another Eddie Harris tune titled "Velocity". Mr. Harris was a versatile musician and composer, easily going from genre to genre. BLUES to Bop, R&B to JAZZ. During the performance I had noticed 2 people who the music had touched. One was Ms. Miriam Steinberg, who moved with the rhythm while seated. Her remark was that, music fills her life. The other was a young man. His toe tapped out the beat all night. His name is Leonardo Graham and he plays trombone. Leonardo is a student at the University of North Florida and is studying composition. Chuck told me that his toddler son, Jackson is starting on drums and is excited when "Uncle John" comes to visit.

On to my double. Joe's Stone Crab. Rick Katz(Miami JAZZ Co-op) and his wife Fran followed me there from the Bass. Their summer music program ends tonight with Nika Garcia. Last night it was Wendy Pederson with Jim(the Genius) Gasior at the keys, Josh Allen playing bass and Harvel Nakundi on drums. Was it coincidence or is it a trend. As I walked in, Wendy was in the middle of "Love For Sale".

If you and I, ever meet face to face, ask me about my experience with that song. "I Didn't Know What Time It Was" and then "Teach Me Tonight" displayed the special musical relationship that they share. Wendy showed her true JAZZ chops and Jim's solo should have been played in a singles bar on 2d Avenue in The Apple, around 2AM. Wendy scatted her way into "Night In Tunisia" with a Bossa rhythm. They ended the set with Wendy just jamming a thank you kind of break song. The next set was introduced with a tasty instrumental with Josh, Harvel and Jim sharing the spotlight. A seldom heard "My Love" was next, followed by "Old Devil Moon" with swing and rhumba tempo. A be-bop, swinging "Besame Mucho" and then a haunting version of "It Ain't Necessarily So". "At Last" and "Show Me" were included. Then again a Cole Porter song, "My Heart Belongs To Daddy". How Mr. Porter was able to switch melodic and lyric style is a wonder. Wendy concluded the show with songs from the Wizard of Oz. "If I Only Had A Brain", picked up the tempo with "Ding-Dong the Witch Is Dead" and raced to the end with "Breeze On Down the Road" from The Wiz. During the show, I had noticed a woman with a guy sitting on her lap. When the final set ended, this guy got up, walked over to behind the drums, picked up the sticks and started to play. The snare. The ride cymbal. Not professional class yet, but with a little touch. He was kind of cute. Hey! Wait a minute. I don't generally think of guys as cute. But,this guy was cute. He is 2 years old. Blonde, blue eyed, name is Moses and he is Nika Garcia's son. Tonight I am catching the late show at Arts Garage with Tito Puente Jr. If you are south and don't feel like travelling, catch Nika at Joe's. It is the last night of the summer series.   

By the way, I haven't seen a musician in a tuxedo since the last Donald Trump wedding. Or was it divorce? I gave mine to a thrift store after I was the only guy wearing one at a friends sons Bar Mitzvah in the late 60's. Flo had said no. I insisted. Every one else wore jeans.  

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment