Friday, July 19, 2013

Getting better. (And better, and better, and even better - right Allen Kanovsky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 7/18/13

Good news from good friends. Danny Burger's wrist is coming around and Babette was in her usual spot last night at Blue Jeans Blues.  I got there for the ending of the first set. The joint was crowded. A gal named Audrey was celebrating her birthday and had 20 friends in attendance. They got a special treat. Joe Donato(straight & curved soprano sax, assorted hand-held percussion and piccolo), Brian (2 brain) Murphy at the piano, Professor Matt Bonelli playing bass and standing in for Danny, Orlando Machado. Like me, many of you might be wondering about the absence of the alto on Joe's stand. It's simple and it happens to guys of a certain age. He just plain forgot it at a students lesson. Nonetheless, Joe is talented enough on all the rest that he didn't really need that horn. The band was doing an up-tempo "Girl From Ipanema" and a couple of partygoers were shaking appropriate parts on the dance floor. "Limehouse Blues" ended the set. Mary Jo and husband Joe were in the audience and asked when the Miami Jazz Co-op would continue their Jams. I honestly don't know but will try to find out. The 2d set had the band playing requests. One of which was "Let's Fall In Love". It's a Harold Arlen tune. It reminded me that when Flo and I met (1960) she was employed by a law firm that represented Mr. Arlen and lyricist E.Y. Harburg. A tune made famous by Carmen Miranda(you are all too young to remember) "Tico-Tico" was next . A bunch of ladies got up to dance and Joe joined them. I say this with real love and respect for the talented musician and showman that Joe is. "Joe, you don't dance any better than you sing". And you can play that in the Italian key of "F".Jack Siegel(trumpet) and wife Sheila were in the audience as well. Jack graciously accepted the invitation to come up, and the Jam was on. Jack opened with "Flamingo" and did some really fine upper register work. They played "It Could Happen To You" and bounced in to "Sweet Home, Chicago". I danced with the birthday girl. "Caravan"(Juan Tisot) does something to JAZZ musicians. The tune never fails to let them shine. Joe doing haunting riffs, Jack continuing with the high notes, Brian making it up as it went on, Matt being at his creative best and Orlando does stuff on the kit that is almost unbelievable. Orlando's set up is somewhat unique. He just added a small cymbal called a "splash". Additionally he has a pair of bongos and all the usual Latin small percussion. As I am wont to say "You can take the boy---------. I was sitting with Joe's longtime pal, Joel Kruger. We were talking kindly about Joe's vocal and terpsicoreal (heck of a word, huh?) talents. When Joe decided to do "Route 66", a favorite of mine, I begged to join in. We sang it in the key of"F".

Admittedly, Joe does it better. The program continued with "Soul Eyes" and then Sonny Rollins' "Pent-Up House". A request for a repeat of the "Girl From I" somehow inspired Joe to sing?? again. But things got much better when Joe did something he wrote in 2000. "The J A Z Z". It's a little hip-hop and rap but the lyric tells a story about JAZZ. A memorable lyric line says "Smooth JAZZ is just about the bread". Joe and Brian were great on "Send In the Clowns" and my request for "Love For Sale". Playing piccolo with voice undertones they concluded with "Lullaby of Broadway". It's a bands way of saying "Good Night".

Hi Tracy    

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment