Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Don't drink...(Easy on the coffee there, Allen Kanovsky!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 7/2/13
...and try to collect data. Last night started out with moi at the bar of a French restaurant in Hollywood. The reason for that was two-fold. First to take advantage of "happy hour", buy one, get one and second to meet my friends Beverly and Alan for dinner. The food here is good and the wine list extensive. I took full advantage. After a good dinner and interesting table talk Bev and Al, being much younger, opted for home and beddy-bye. 

I being much older and wiser opted for The Funky Biscuit and Dave Shelley's Jam. It was a great choice. Lots of folks showing up to play. Plenty of listeners making up the audience. When I walked in to the "Biscuit" the band 'Blind Pig' was concluding a stint on stage. They were playing a tune named "Apache" and were kickin' a--. then the house band made up of Dave Shelley(guitar/vocals) out front, J.L Fulks(guitar/vocals), Tom Regis(keys), Bill Jolly(organ), and Mason Randall(bass) got up. The reason I have all those names is that a lady, of my acquaintance, helped me out-----remember what I said about drinking and------I was so "fahblunjet"=fogged up, I don't even remember her name. I can't wait to hear what she will have to say about that!! (Editor's note: If it was Tania, I'm sure you will hear about it!) Dave sang a couple, J.L sang a couple the band played a couple and they ended the set with a rousing BLUES version of "Hound Dog". You notice I am much better with tunes than I am with names. 

Rockin' Jake - one of the Members of the Tribe-(harp/vocals)) and his band with Maurice Dukes(drums), Steve Laudicina (guitar) and an unidentified, but talented, young man on bass. The bass player was 'auditioning for a place with Rockin' Jake. Jake sings and plays "Somebody hoodooed the hoodoo man" and the end their portion with a reggae rhythm "It's All Good". When Rocking Jake starts the last song, he has the wrong key harmonica in hand. Fortunately Steve has an ear and corrects him before he has the audience cracking up. The jam continues. I apologize for any missed names, misspellings but the excuse is as stated above. Bob Grabau(tenor/soprano/blues shouter), Jamie 'King' Colton(B3/vocals), Charles Gaspar(bass), Drew Preston(guitar), Ken Burgner(bass) Dr. Tzvi Pearlstein(pocket trumpet), Anthony, Bob, and Albert "the B man" Poliak(B3). Just before the night came to a close I had the opportunity to talk with Antoinette Herzberg(Toni) for a moment. I was in a somewhat more sober(3cups of joe) state and enjoyed the chat.

Next time I might "Pardon me miss-----. Still pondering tonight. C.U.

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment