Saturday, July 13, 2013

A night to remember...(As if Allen Kanovsky ever forgets anything!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 7/13/13

and rememberance. Last night, for the first time, I walked into the lobby of the Olympia Theater. The occasion was a JAZZ concert produced by Keith Clark and the Miami JAZZ Society. The artists were to be Yvonne Brown, Oriente and Federico Britos.  The small, but ornate lobby was serving as a cocktail lounge. The interior design is 1920's Moor. All turquoise, coral and sandstone colors. Aside from the architecture, off to one side, sipping a cocktail is an absolutely stunning blonde. Tall, slender, white dress with gold beads at the neckline. Much to my disappointment a gentleman stands alongside. Me, the shy one, introduce myself to the couple and we are soon engaged in a discussion about JAZZ and the need for more venues. The lady is Elsie Peralta, the man, her husband, Alfonso. He was born and raised in Newport Beach, CA. If you can ride a surfboard you need say nothing more. She is a New York girl in every sense of the word. Self-confident, assured, assertive but easy to talk with. Upon entering the theater itself, you can't help but feel you are in a time warp. Transported back to a movie palace of the 30's. Burgundy plush seats, balustrades, Bas-Reliefs of historic Florida figures. statuary and ornate carved plaster. The ceiling is evening blue with moving clouds and twinkling stars. It is a miniature Loews Paradise transported from the Grand Concourse in The Bronx. The Paradise is now a church, The Olympia has been totally restored.

Paul Anton is on stage to announce the opening act, Yvonne Brown. If you like your JAZZ straight-ahead, no-nonsense, Yvonne will deliver. She opens her set with "This Will Be Our Shining Hour" and she means it. She has Richard Banks on keys, with Gary Thomas on bass, Pat(sax) and Ben(drums)---sorry about the names but that's all I could catch----In spite of some initial sound system problems, Yvonne did her thing. And that is sing. "I Thought About You", "Days of Wine and Roses", "Foggy Day", "I wish You Love" and "One Note Samba", all in her swinging style. She sang  "That Rainy Day Is Here" which I first heard Jack Sheldon do while I was living in California. She closed her set with "It's A Marvelous Night" and had us all clapping and tapping. While "Oriente" was setting up, I noticed an earring on the ear of a young woman seated in front of me. It was unusual in design. The shaft ran from the front of the cup to the rear with each end tipped with a mini blue pearl. Again, being as shy as I am, I tapped her gently on the shoulder. When she turned to face me I realized how beautiful she was. I had wanted to tell her that the earring was not only a statement of fashion but told an awful lot about her. Willing to take chances and adventurous. The young man she was with totally agreed. Her name is Paola Rodriguez and is part of the reason Miami is known for its beautiful women.

Oriente plays Latin flavored JAZZ and is made up of a very talented quintet of musicians. Eddy(El Gato Fresca)Balzola plays guitar and fronts the group. Doni Felix from Haiti is on bass. An amazing William Peredes blows and I mean blows trombone.. Rhythm is supplied by Raymer Olalde(all the Latin percussion) and Yoel Del Sol on drums. The band does bop to bolero, Coletrane to Cachao, Gershwin to Santamaria and pays true tribute to it all. Eddie gives a shout out to Mike Gerber(JAZZ pianist) who is in the audience. The sounds of the rain forest is pervasive. They do some of Eddies originals including "Overtown Redemption", "Amazona", and "Coup D'etat". They play and recite "Peace, Music and Magic" which recognizes John Coletrane's contribution to the JAZZ world.
The final part of the show is Federico Brito, the master of JAZZ violin. With Federico are Jorge Garcia(guitar) and Renyel Rivero on bass. The style is that of 'du Hot Club de France'. I mean swing like it was played back in the day. It makes you want to clap along in time. Mr. Britos is a 5 time Grammy award winner. When I asked him what brought him to a career in JAZZ he told me that as a young boy, in Montevideo, Uruguay, he listened to the radio which used to feature big band swing. Occasionally the bands would be there on tour. He took advantage of the opportunities and saw Woody Herman, Louis Armstrong, Dizzy and others. He fell in love with the music. Everyone returned to the stage for a rousing rendition of "Green Dolphin Street" with each member doing an inspired solo. "The Music Stopped" but I was still dancing. All I can say is "A heck of a night for JAZZ in Miami"   

Tonight, a little more Gypsy style JAZZ at Arts Garage!!!!

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment