Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Time, money and effort...


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 6/11/13

Tuesday night is Billy Gilmore's night at the Funky Biscuit in Boca. Billy early--Rita Wilbern at BJB's a little later. The opening act at the Biscuit was RJ Harman & Co. RJ(harp/vocals), Tom Shugart(guitar), Nick Holcomb(bass) and Tony Cintron(drums). This is a band of young men, down from Orlando, that has been together for about 4 years. Tony joined the group 4 months ago. Their genre--BLUES--. It is a tight, well rehearsed group that is there to entertain and they do. When I asked RJ for his favorite BLUES lyric line , his answer "the wind from the beach is blowing like a 4 blade fan"(Damon Fowler). The band members are all personable and easy to talk to. Fathers Day they will be in Tampa at Skippers Smoke House. Before they started the first set I took a look at the electronic gear on stage. Ray, the Biscuits talented sound tech, was standing nearby. I asked him what a rig might cost. $2,000.00 for a pedal set-up, $1,000.00 for the amp, $7-800 for cases and you haven't even bought the guitar, paid for lessons, spent countless hours practicing and rehearsing. All just to provide you, I, and other BLUES fans an evening of good music. All I can say is "Thank you!!!'. During one of RJ's solos he quoted a Beethoven's Violin Concerto and Fleur Lis which was somewhat unexpected and unusual for a 'harp' man. They closed the set with a lively tune "Bottle Caps" which is on their new CD.

Billy Gilmore took the stage along with Jack Straw(guitar/vocals), Jeff Adkins(bass) and a little later in the set, Brian Jones on drums. Billy is playing the mandolin to start the set. In a stand close by are a banjo and a fiddle. That can only mean one thing. The mountains of West Virginia and the hills of Kentucky. Oh, also the streets of downtown Memphis. I love all kinds of music. Opera, symphonic, classic to be-bop, BLUES to Hip-hop, music you can rap to and rhythms you can tap to. All of it. I especially like it LIVE. This performance was in motion and live. Billy ran through his gamut of instruments, but you can tell it is something special to him when he picks up the fiddle. Billy is a "Most Happy Fella". Always with a cheerful smile on his mug. When he plays the violin the smile gets a little wider and his eyes just a little brighter. There is an old Yiddish song and the lyric says "play fiddler play, let your heart be the melody". I know Billy is Irish not Yiddish but all I can say is  "Play fiddler, Play". 

Full up with 'bluegrass' I head for BJB's and Ms. Rita Wilburn, Danny Burger on drums, Tony(guitar/vocals) and Mitch on the Hammond. I make it in time for the last two songs. I clap and tap with the music. Share some 'stromboli'--not on the menu--chat with Rita and some of her pals. Have a talk with Danny about young musicians we knew, back in the day, who died with a spike in their arm. Sad stories that have yet to be told--- maybe someday.

And so to home to rest those weary but happy bones. Tonight the Olympia Theater is again trying to initiate a JAZZ program. Dr. Jules and I will try to be there.

Just to let JAZZophiles know: There are a few open spots in my group for the trip to Havana, Dec.15-Dec.23. 5 days of touring Havana and thereabouts. 3 days Of JAZZ with VIP tix. Call 661 803 9096   e-mail   alkanon@hotmail.com     
     
Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment