Thursday, June 6, 2013

Entiendo paella (as Al wonders if he should stick Nintendo instead of singing???)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 6/6/13

For my fellow JAZZophiles who 'no comprende espanol' it means I understand paella(pronounced pie ay eh). Last night I was invited for dinner at Luz Salazar's home. Ms. Salazar is a vocalist and the very lovely friend of Mike Orta.(pianist). 

Mike is an accomplished JAZZ musician and turns out to be an equally good cook. He lovingly prepared the traditional Spanish dish. I have had paella in Barcelona, Madrid, Rome, San Juan P.R. Havana and at El Faro in The Apple. Mike's was as good if not better than any of them. Of course by the time the platters were served I had consumed 3 or 4(it's hard to keep count) large tumblers of a good rum over ice. The guest list included my pal Bill Rutan and his daughter-in-law, Gabriella, a neighbor Mike, Carlos, recently retired editor at the Miami Herald, Luz's youngest son Danny, his buddy Josh and myself. After sating ourselves on massive portions of Mike's cookery we talked Mike into sitting down at the baby grand. He obliged us and then invited all of us to come up and sing. (this is the part that qualifies this inane blog as a music review). I made a fool of myself by being first. Let me explain that I barely know the difference between musical keys and the one that opens my front door. I started off with a somewhat flat "Do nothing 'til you hear from me". I wondered why everyone was laughing. Then Carlos took a chance. He decided on "There Will Never Be Another You" He sang. No one laughed but they did applaud. Then Luz did a song by recently deceased Cuban composer, Usar Potillo de la Luz. The tune titled in Spanish was "Contigo en la Distancia". Mike, Luz and Carlos did "Bye, Bye Blackbird". I tried to redeem myself by doing "Route 66". The attempt failed. I have to face the fact that I am not a Nat 'King' Cole. Gabriela stood up to do a BLUES tune from her native Argentina. She loves BLUES and it shows. Mike played a solo on "Softly", then Luz sang the tragic "Alfonsina de la Mar", the sad tale of a woman walking into the sea over a lost love. Carlos joined Luz to sing the ballad "Delirio" and it was beautiful. I asked Mike for a little 8 beat boogie. He played some and had us all clappin' ' tappin'. He closed down the musical session with "What A Wonderful World"----Wonderful world, wonderful folks, wonderful food, wonderful evening. Wish you could have all been there. 

Carlos is a truly dedicated JAZZophile. He was a frequent listener at the Vandyke Upstairs. To avoid the chance of a DUI, he sold his home and moved to within walking distance, so that he could easily be there every night. I love music as well but I have to admit that he only thing that would induce me to do the same kind of thing would be a-------- woman!!!!!! 
   
     
Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment