Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Biscuit & Jam (breakfast at 9, please - PM THAT IS!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 6/5/13

The Heat were playing the final game of the series at AAA in Miami. The real heat was at The Funky Biscuit in Boca Raton. It was provided by Terry Hanck (2012 Blues Music Award Winner!) in front of the Monday night house band with Charles Gasper on bass, Tom Regis(B3/keys), Drew Preston(guitar) and James Karpus on drums. Terry opened with "Little Red Rooster" followed with Albert King's "Pretty Woman". The temperature in the room went up a degree or two when a real live pretty woman took to the dance floor and showed us all how it should be done. Her name is Victoria Dushaj (pronounced doo shay). I wish I could have taped it. A million hits on Youtube would have been a snap. The heat got a little hotter as each of the host of "jammers" took the stage. Even Al Poliak got up to take one on B3. Muddy Waters "Ready For You" in C minor was called by Terry. It kept getting hotter when Liz Sharp took the stage with "Chain, Chain, Chain" followed with "Stormy Monday" done to a 2d line rhythmic theme. There were a lot of guys who came to play and add coals to the fire. Among them Mason Randall(guitar), Kerry(drums) and a big guy named Jerry James Williams who impressed with his vocals. A Latin tinged BLUES solo by Noel (pianoman) Torres proved again that you can take the boy out of the clave but you can never take the clave out of the boy. There's a tap on my shoulder. I turn to find Clay Goldstein(BLUES harp) there. Clay is a ton of fun and I consider him a friend. He was with a pal of his, a trumpet player, Steven Pearlstein who used to practice Orthopedics. He has now dedicated himself to a career in music and is never without his 'pocket' horn. They both took the stage and again the temp rose. The Heat won. I was a bigger winner, having enjoyed a night at the Funky Biscuit listening to a bunch of people who had really come to "PLAY".

If you have guts enough to ask Terry for a request I strongly suggest "Tied To The Whipping Post". His solo and vocal rendition, last night, will long be remembered. 

I love JAZZ, BLUES & Books. It's my way of life!
   
     
Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment