Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Tough to beat the best....and don't you know, Allen Kanovsky has been beaten by them!


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 5/15/13

I honestly cannot say it was my best weekend ever, because I have lived through an awful lot of weekends, many of which I have no memory of, whatsoever. This one will never become a "Lost Weekend". Wonderful Broadway show, "Motown". Meeting Jason. The performances of the 15 best H.S. JAZZ bands in the nation. The Q&A session with Wynton Marsalis. Meeting  and chatting with Jellyroll Justice (WWOZ FM). MY box mates Kate and Kate. The amazing answer from Marcus Printup. Definitely in the top 3. Including seeing my kids and grandkids. Got back to FL. Tuesday afternoon, headed home for a shower, shave and change of clothes. Drove up to 'thoity-thoid' in Ft. Lauderdale for the 4th anniversary party at Blue Jean Blues.

The schedule included "open bar", followed by appetizers plus appetizers plus appetizers. The band for the night was "Jade" which is Nicole McClouds' band. Nicole does the vocals with Mike Washington(bass), Jason(drums), Billy Adderly(keyboard) and AJ(guitar). The band does R&R covers but does them well. Nicole knows how to sell a song.

My 'buds' Bill, Bette and Babette were there. Bill was wearing a black stingy brim hat, trenchcoat, with a Happy Face T-shirt and a pair of brightly patterned under-shorts. He was going to be part of the show. 6 vodka/rocks into the celebration, Bill had more than enough partying and took leave before playing his role.

He was easily replaced by 2 Peruvian imports, Ms. Ana Ballester and her friend Silvia Ronceros. I can easily describe these two women in one word-----HOT-----. The dance floor was jammed when Jacques and Martine showed up. Alfreda was sitting up close, tappin' and clappin'. Tony, Melody's partner in Blue Jean Blues, made an infrequent appearance and enjoyed this Anniversary celebration.

The show had the staff, the guys in raincoats and stingy brims, the gals in bustierres and net stockings doing a parody on "Secret Agent Man". You had to get a look at Nancy, KellyAnn, Diane and Melody in the costumes. I was almost at the point of having to take a nitro-glycerin pill. The cast, I and every one in the audience loved every minute of it.

I have an awful lot of more stuff to let you know about the EE competition and will try to gather my copious (heck of a word, ain't it?) notes so I can write about it.
Yes, Frank. That's what I call what I do!    

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment