Saturday, May 25, 2013

Short, Sweet and Hot


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 5/25/13

If you weren’t at Arts Garage last night, you missed hearing a great band, playing some really artful JAZZ. Aaron Lebos fronts a band named Reality. Want real? This is real. Jim Gasior on keys, Rudolfo Zuniga playing drums and Eric England providing the foundation on bass. Aaron plays guitar. He employs an electronic pedal device that has the capability of being the control panel for an international jet and may have cost as much. I will ask him. As I have said before, these guys are playing the music of the day after tomorrow. I listen and am wowed by new, fresh, chord structures and time signatures. Each of these musicians is a maestro, a virtuoso who has mastered their instruments and the genre of JAZZ. Aaron, on introducing the next song said they would play something a little JAZZier. I swear to you, that the first four bars of music held chords I have never heard in my lifetime of listening. My good friend, Dr. Jules Oaklander had accompanied me to the concert. He prefers traditional "straight ahead". Later in the evening we discussed how listening to music is not an objective art but rather subject to lots of things in your past experiences.

Solos by Aaron, Jim, Rudolfo and Eric were wonderfully creative. Without "dissing" anyone I must mention that Rudolfo did one that brought us all to our feet with applause and shouts of approval. I implore my fellow JAZZophiles to open their minds and ears. Listen to the new, young players emerging on the scene. They really have something to offer. Dr. Jules and I had a late sushi dinner at nearby Salt7. There was a quartet of sisters at a nearby table. They were enjoying a bachelorette party for one of them, Michelle Barone. Michelle is a vocalist. Unfortunately JAZZ is not her chosen genre. All of this attractive group of women were friendly and we shared a few laughs. I asked where they were from. They replied "New York".

"Where?" was my next question. "Poughkeepsie" was their reply.--- I'll let you in on a little secret. Poughkeepsie ain't New York.----- It is what is known as "Upstate".   All is forgiven. They are "Eyetalians".

An aside: Dr. Jules and I are of equivalent age. Our looks belie the reality of it. Do you detect a bit of vanity? We share interests in a number of subjects. Mainly the arts. Theater, opera, literature, paintings, music, JAZZ, BLUES, etc.  When I was growing up my father told me that I should perceive women as "works of art".  The good Doctor and I do just that.   
     
Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment