Friday, April 26, 2013

"You can't always... (But Al tries and tries and tries)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 4/26/13



…get what you want". My philosophy says--"so get what you can and make do".  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it works it can be a real reward. Last night was like that. First came the question of where to go to and listen to whom? West to Blues Bobby's Jam, North to BJB's and the "Sound of Vision" or South to Moonchines and a guy named "Mushy" Weidman. I had never heard or heard of "Mushy" so I let that be my guide. Well, it turns out I didn't get what I wanted. As often happens "due to circumstances------" Mushy was replaced with Amy Arlo and "Almost Blue". This group was not 'almost' anything. They are the real deal. A tight well rehearsed group playing funky, rocky, BLUES. Amy does the vocals plus playing guitar and harp. Behind her are her husband, Albert Arguelles (guitar), Gil Carreno (drums) and Frank 'Paco' Rodriguez (bass).

Albert is called "Big Al" by Amy. I wonder why all guys named Al are called "Big Al"? Due to electrical problems the opening song got a little messed up. They kept their cool and resolved the problem. They did some of their 'original' stuff and some BLUES standards including Big Mama Thornton's "Movin' On Out the Door" and a Delaney and Bonnie tune. "Big Al's" solos are cool and tasty, keepin' you tappin' and clappin'. Amy is a very much today’s version of the old time BLUES singers. Soulful, impassioned and true to the genre.

When the band did "Respect", folks got up and danced and sang along with----"reee. reee, reee" and  "just a little bit". It was fun. The band has been together for 6 years and plays all around town. Amy's favorite line from a BLUES song is Etta James "I'd rather go blind than to see you walk away".  In the audience was a young couple (maybe mid-20's), Matt and Dida. He was good looking and she very pretty. It was heartening to see young folks enjoying this traditional music. On the way out, when queried, they responded that they "Love the BLUES". 

If you go to Moonchine make sure to look at the mirror behind the bar. In the center there is a circle where you see your face and it is surrounded by lots of smaller mirrors with your reflection as well. It fascinated me so much, that I almost hypnotized myself. Broke away, got to Tracy (91.3FM) just in time to have Albert Ammons accompany us home. G'night Tracy!!! 

The direct flight form Miami to the Havana JAZZ Festival is filling up and only a few seats remain. If interested in joining me contact----alkanon@hotmail.com.


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment