Wednesday, April 3, 2013

what's in a name...asks Al, as he drops them left and right, then a right, right, right...


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 4/3/13


I got there a little late. The band, Oriente, was in the middle of their first set. As I sipped the initial beverage of the evening it came to me that the leader, Eddy Balzola, while playing a solo was really 'cool'.

His demeanor and style of play was the essence of the word. The band plays Latin Oriented JAZZ. . From this moment on Eddy will be known to me as El Gato Fresco, the cool cat. The other band members, Orlando Machado(drums), Raymer Olalve(congas),Don Felix(baas) and William Pederes(trombone) complement his style. Wait a sec. William is not cool. In fact he is caliente (hot). Come to think of it Orlando, Raymer and Don are all hot. Eddy stands alone as "El Gato Fresco". 

When I was 12 years old, I kissed a girl named Rose Prochansky. She taught me to dance. First the Lindy then the Mambo . I was forever grateful. We got married 38 years later. It's a long story that I love to tell. Being able to dance, especially to Latin rhythms has stood me well over the years.

A couple sat down at a close by table. Tanya and Brian Morrison.They are from Baltimore and are going home soon. A friend recommended Blue Jeans Blues to them as the place for JAZZ. They were not disappointed. Somewhere in the course of the evening, a woman of appropriate age, invited me on to the dance floor. I obliged. There is something about the multi-layered rhythms of Latin that won't let me sit still. She thanked me and when returning her to her table her husband thanked me as well. (he don't dance).

Oriente plays it all. JAZZ I mean. Tito Puente to Benny More. John Coltrane to Joco Pastorius. Toward the end of the evening, guitarist Mark Whitfield came in to listen. Eddy--I mean El Gato Fresco, got him to get up and join the band. They played a really swinging "Softly" and when done the audience pleaded for one more. A little be-bop to end the night with el Gato scatting the last few bars.

Okay Tracy, I'll take you home or------ vice-versa. The real Tracy Fields(91.3FM) had Brenda Alford join us in the ride. Me, an evening of Latin JAZZ, a couple of beverages, nice folks to meet and two beautiful women in the car with me. What more could any man ask for. Yeah, the two gals left me before we got home.

Added note. If you are a JAZZophile and like Latin JAZZ you might want to join a group headed to Havana for a JAZZ festival in December. Contact me for further info: alkanon@hotmail.com 

Additional added note; if you are planning on going to the Funky Biscuit for the ANNUAL BISCUIT FEST, I strongly suggest you get your tickets and reservations early!!!!




 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment