Monday, April 8, 2013

The best laid plans of----


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 4/8/13

…mice and men, are often put asunder. Especially when it rains. The plan. The Sunday JAZZ brunch in Ft. Lauderdale and then The Funky Biscuit BLUES Fest. A great plan. My buddy Bette would bring blintzes to the brunch. I would bring the wine. We arranged to meet at the gazebo where the Dillard School of Music would have a sextet of their young stars perform. By the time I arrived there was already a pretty good crowd, laying out their picnics and setting up sun-shade tents. Warming up, on stage were the talented High School students. Starting  with the rhythm section we had Zach Auslander(guitar), Christopher Mills(bass) and Charlie Stoner on drums. The horns were Ben Stocker(tenor sax), Christian Cummings(alto sax) and Max Boyko(trumpet).

I spoke with Mr. Chris Dorsey about how rewarding his career as Musical Director at Dillard must be. He told me some things about his ideas for having the young JAZZ aspirants, mature and grow as musicians. He has a unique approach to teaching, learning and self-development. Ben's parents, Susan & Mike, arrived bearing enough food and beverage to feed a division of the Russian Army. Just as Bette arrived and the band started the first set it started to drizzle. The rains came shortly thereafter. Have you ever eaten a rain-soaked blintz? The band sounded great, as expected. Each and every one of these young men are gifted with apparent creativity as exhibited in their solos. The sextet is part of the Big JAZZ band that will be in the Ellington Competition at Lincoln Center N.Y., in May. You can watch via live-stream on your computer. They are proud to have placed FIRST the last two years. (kon-a-hura). I asked Christian which solo he has heard, would be the one he wished he had played. "Oh, that's easy", was a quick response. Then, hesitation. "There are so many I wished I could have played". The thoughtful look. "If I have to choose only one it would be Cannonball Adderley on "Grand Central". What more could I say but "Good choice". As to the best laid plan, I started to catch a little chill and decided to go home to a warm shower. I really didn't want to miss the Biscuit Fest at night.

A long shower and a longer nap and I was back on the "plan".

Prepare yourself for a reading of "The Great American Novel". It will be lengthy 'cause the evening was beyond memorable. The best BLUES musicians playing all of the best BLUES tunes. Good friends and BLUES lovers. Good food, good beverage, good server named Naomi and a wonderful sense of friendship in a packed Funky Biscuit. I arrived as Albert Castiglia's band was playing their 2d song. (we will discuss the pronunciation of Albert's name a little later). Just 3 guys, Matt Schuler (bass), Bob Amsel(drums) and Albert. Playing the BLUES and rocking the "joint". In deference to my "good looks"(read age), a guy at the bar named Norbert gave up his seat. He had grey hair also. ---I must really look old---additionally he knew the lyrics to all the tunes, sang along and got up to boogie with the best. The band did "Bad Avenue". That's a street in every town in the U.S. It's "where the men carry shotguns, the women carry pistols too". They did one of my "faves" "A House Called Rising Sun" and then Albert had Billy Iuso join them.  They played the tune "Cortez" in response to a request. The result was one of the moments that keep me going out to listen to music every night. The one you don't want to miss. There is no second chance for those few bars where they catch a groove and fly high. 

I thank the person who asked for the song. WOW! WOW!! WOW!!! It will be hard to forget their individual solos, the unison playing and the back and forths. Rockin' Jake(harp) joined in the last couple of songs and helped them rock out with a tune dedicated to Bobby "BLUES" Bland.

By then my BJB buddies, Mike(I mistakenly called him Mark in a previous blog) and Richard had arrived. I had also spoken with a gal named Sally, like in Mustang or Ride. She had gotten up to shake a little. She was wearing a chiffony leopard print dress and was attractive. Me, not being shy and unafraid of her muscular companion approached and asked her if she would tell me her name and when and where she "shot the leopard". A gracious smile and answer. "My name is Sally and the leopard was shot right here in the Funky Biscuit." I interpreted that to mean she met "muscles" at the Biscuit. Later on Sally introduced the gentleman she was with. I should have recognized him before but my attention had been focused on Sally. He's famed sports announcer, Jeff Deforrest. And he is a gracious gentleman. 
Next up was JP Soars and "Southern Hospitality". This band is made up of the best of the best. Chuck Riley(bass), Chris Peet(drums), Damon Fowler(guitars, steel and vocals), Victor Wainwright(keys/b3/vocals)  and JP (guitar/vocals). The band played on and man, did they play. It got me up dancing, jitterbug style, with a gal I can only identify by the words on her T-shirt. "I'm A Keeper". Oh, how I wish!!!! Yeah Charlie. I know. I'm supposed to be here for the music. But as it says in the Good Book, "a man is but made of flesh"------With Damon now playing steel guitar, he and Victor did a moving "Say Your Prayers Tonight".
It came at an appropriate time. Jimmy Belize, the photographer who shot that great picture of me at the top, showed up and Lord knows a prayer couldn't hurt when it comes to Jimmy Belize. I also spied BLUES Bobby, pres. of the South Florida BLUES Society in the crowd. Part of the bands performance were super renditions of "Angels In Heaven Gonna Sign My Name", "Same Old BLUES" and "Kind Eyes, Whiskey Again".

During this set, Rockin' Jake did an unusual thing playing harp. He used a glass like a trumpet wah-wah mute. Producing unusual sounds and harmonic effects. When asked he said that he was not the first and only one using that technique – he blamed it in on Magic Dick of  J. Giles Band fame.

Sitting nearby was a couple, Jean and Dan. They got up to dance. When they returned I asked how long they were married. "10 years next month" Jean answered with a pleasant smile. Then I asked "When are you going to teach him to dance?" Her answer, now laughing said, "I already have". I cast no aspersions on his dancing capability as it turns out Don is an avid reader of "JAZZ and BLUES Florida".  George Porter Jr. came up to begin the final set. Everybody came on stage, taking turns for the final Jam of the night. Dave Shelley, Maurice Dukes, Albert Castiglia, J.P. Soars, Victor Wainwright, Billy Iuso, Kilmo, Al Poliak, Rockin' Jake and a bunch of all the guys. All playing their hearts out for the folks who come out and support live music. I thank all of them and all of you.

p.s. Albert insists his name is pronounced Cast-eel-ya. It's his name and I say he can pronounce it anyway he cares to.

I am not of Italian descent but had an Italian upbringing in the East Bronx. Where I came from his name is pronounced Cast--igg--lee--ah.
It's his name and he can say it anyway he likes. It's not my name but I will defer to Vinnie, Gino and Tony and the way they would like me to say it. You know what I'm sayin? Huh? 

On my way out, while chatting with Jimmie Belize, a young lady who I had watched dance, walked by.

"Pardon me, miss." I said. She turned with a smile. "I couldn't help but admire your----style of dance".

She continued smiling and said, "You mean my(word meaning posterior)". Hiding my shock I replied in the affirmative. She introduced herself as Sophia and her friend Laura-Linda. She added that she liked my approach and would I teach a man she was interested in, how to speak to a WOMAN. "Sure" I said. "It's just three easy lessons but it took me a lifetime to learn". Sophia lives in Miami and made me wish I was 40, no, 50 or maybe 60 years younger.  


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment