Thursday, April 4, 2013

Take two-----for what ails ya, says Al...


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 4/4/13


Wednesday I had a double dose of the University of Miami's Music Department. The JAZZ in the Gables concert had the U's  Frost School of Music JAZZ choral group directed by Larry Lapin. The rhythm section, Errol Cooper(drums), Gene Knific(keys), Tommy Hudul(bass), Chris Kuo(guitar) and Argarita Palavicini doubling on flute and voice. The band opened with a really swinging "If I Were A----". The choral group started their part of the program with a BLUES, "Your Mind", followed by a Latin influenced version of "Pop Goes the Weasel". Their rendition of "When I Fall In Love" touched me in a special way. It was a song that Flo and I had an attachment to. "Quiet Now" was done as a tone poem without musical accompaniment. It was beautiful to listen to. I got only a few of the members names and apologize to those omitted. Kelly Garner, John Studall, Dan Montgomery, Danielle Worth and Veronica O'Brien. Their educational level is from freshmen to post-grad Doctoral students and come from all over the country. Mr. Lapin is retiring at the end of the semester. We wish him G-d speed in all future endeavors. Joining me in the audience was UM graduate Joe Donato (aka Yussel). Joe is a local musical legend. He had a scholarship to the "U", graduated in "71 and took 10 years off to "party" before continuing his education. Also listening in was Kevin Mahogany, who attends the concerts occasionally. Nanami Morikawa was there as was Jeannette Pena. The youngest JAZZophile there was Oscar. He has been attending since he was only 7 months old. Fortunately he hadn't come alone. His Mom, Amy, was there with him. The kid knows how to listen!!

Later that day I took my second dose of the U. Dr. Lisanne Lyons, who teaches JAZZ voice at the Frost School was appearing at BJB's. She was there early, as was I and my pals Bill and Mark. We shared a pizza(shrimp and basil) and some fried calamari. The late afternoon provided for a really nice, al fresco, snack at a table outside. Backing Dr. Lyons was George Mazzeo(drums), Brian Murphy(piano) and fellow educator, Dr. Jaime Ousley(bass). If you want to know what a JAZZ vocalist can do with her voice, you must listen to Lisanne. She moved through her repertoire of Cole Porter and Harold Arlen songs effortlessly and with a unique originality. To say she is creative, would be an understatement. She can take a melody to places it never expected. I can only say, listen and learn. Later in her program she had Hannah(alto sax) join her on stage. Nanami was there. Did she follow me? No. Realistically, she must have been following Jaime. I watched her. She was tracking the chord changes with her hands, while Brian was doing a piano solo. Nanami and Hannah joined Lisanne, Brian, Jaime and George to send me home on "Route 66". I wonder if I'm 'hip' enuff.

I started my musical program at 12:15 with a group that is directed by Lisanne. Continued with the lady, till mid-night. Closed my musical night with the real Tracy Fields at 12:15 in the morning and Dexter Gordon's 1971 recording, live at the Village Vanguard, "Round Midnight". I am truly the luckiest SOB in the whole wide world. And I know why!!!!!    
 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment