Monday, April 29, 2013

Sunday, I go to church…


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 4/29/13



…and listen to the music. It's not often that I visit Houses of Worship. I feel His presence without visiting what some people think is His home. Think about it for a moment. If He does not live in your heart, than the Lord is homeless. That is my Sunday sermon and so on to the music. Yesterday, the Unitarian Universalist Church had their last concert of the season. This was their 12th year of JAZZ concerts. The featured artist was, well known, local JAZZ vocalist Debbie Orta. On stage with Debbie was a list of educators and master musicians. Each one makes whomever they play with sound better. Are you good at math? If one makes one better that's 1. If one makes two better that's 2. The equation continues until you have 4 to the 16th power. That is why I asked if you were good at math. Who are the guys who make up the math problem?

Left to right on stage: Mike Orta(piano) Mike is Director of JAZZ Performance at FIU. Carlo(magnnific)o Araya(drums). Studying for his doctorate, he has performed in Carnegie Hall, The Apollo and the Monteux JAZZ Festival. Nicky Orta(bass). Nicky is on the adjunct faculty at UM’s Frost School. He composes and writes charts as well. He is better known as Mr. Debbie Orta. Ed Maina(all the saxes/flute/EWI). Name any major artist and Ed has played with them. The list includes Frank Sinatra and Jaco Pastorius.

In the audience was Ron(patron of the Arts and dedicated JAZZophile). Bill and his daughter-in-law Gabriella, Mike and Nicky's Mom, Luz, Jeannette with her niece Gisell. Swinge, Debbie, Mrs Araya and her talented son Enzo. Enzo is 9 years old, plays cello and composes his own music. Sandra was there and said "Hello". The program covered all the JAZZ genres. Swing, BLUES, Latin. bop, funk and fusion. They did Nicky's arrangement of "Taking A Chance On Love". Of course Nicky gave the bass an 8 bar intro.

The influence of other JAZZ vocalists were heard when Debbie did "You've Changed" (Sarah Vaughan), "Ding Dong the Witch Is Dead" (Ella Fitzgerald) Debbie said that "Ella could swing the phone book". "Ill Wind" (Billie Holiday) and "You're Mine, You"(Peggy Lee). She sang "You Go To My Head" and "Old Devil Moon". Each was "all Debbie" and her own creativity. Debbie is in the process of recording a new CD which includes her own composition of a Gospel tune. 

I was going to continue the day with some more music. On the way I was grabbed by a thought. "Dungeness Crab". Soooooooo--Publix, a pound of crab legs, home, mix some of my own formula cocktail sauce, a glass, ice, Tito's vodka, Eldar Djangirov on the box playing "Rhapsody in Blue". Memories--------

At the beginning I mentioned that I don't go to His house often. On the other hand, The Lord generally doesn't "hang" in the places I frequent. Most of the time, He lingers just outside the doors in order to capture a lost soul, here and there. Believe me, He is most at home in your heart!!!! 

The first time I heard Ira Sullivan was at UU Church. His birthday is Wednesday. Celebrate at BJB's. 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment