Thursday, April 11, 2013

but "My heart belongs to--------"...I don't think you ever answered yourself here, Al?


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 4/10/13

Yo! It's me. Over here. By myself. About to "testify". Listen up! You know I love live music. Be-bop, boogie-woogie, and the BLUES. Swing, hip-hop and funk. I love 'em all, but my heart belongs to Latin JAZZ. The multi-layered rhythms of clave have captured "mi alma". Last night BJB's and every Tuesday, they have "El Gato Fresco", my name for Eddy Balzola and his band Oriente. El Gato has Orlando Machado at drums, Raymer Olalve(congas), Don Felix(bass) and a trumpeter, Stuart King, whom I had never heard before. I was in for a treat. 6 notes into Stuarts first solo, I knew was not going to be disappointed. Tone, clarity, elocution, fresh ideas. He knew how to use that horn. He had a unique knack of bending notes ala Charlie Shavers and Clark "Mumbles" Terry. The band opened with a couple of Latin numbers and then played a 2nd line New Orleans rendition of the tune "Little Liza Brown". 2nd Line's Mama was clave. You know---pok---pok/pok---pok/pok. That's right. The root is Latin. Eddie "El Gato Fresco" uses his knowledge of history in selecting the playlist for the band. Transitioning from an instrumental solo of "Lush Life" to the band playing "Ordinary People". They paid tribute to the "Buena Vista Social Club" from Cuba by playing a couple of their songs. Back in the early 90's, Eddie played in a band called "Cloud" and opened the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Stuart had his start in Latin JAZZ playing a series of gigs with the late Celia Cruz and then Mongo Santamaria. Like me, clave, ensnared him "Body and Soul". When asked about which solo he wished he could have played, he answered Miles Davis on "So What". I say, "why not?". My heart led my feet onto the dance floor with a couple of gals. One being the lady in the hat, my Palladium partner. The other one is a friend of my friend Chad. She said she had danced at that same mambo palace when she was 12 years old.  Dance to salsa rhythms. It will keep your heart beating and put your head in a really good place. A tall good-looking blond, took the stage and sang a jumping BLUES song. Her name is Myoshen and would like to put a trio of BLUES musician together to play a repertoire of old BLUES songs. She reminded me that I had danced with her also. A couple of weeks ago. I don't remember where or even if, I was living a couple of weeks ago. Toward the end of the last set, an electro-violinist, Vitale Imereli, joined in. Exciting would best describe his playing.

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment